Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edge Flange at 5/8 wing skin overlap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge Flange at 5/8 wing skin overlap

Related to my previous post, I am concerned about my 5/8 overlap at wingtip skin. As per the plans I left a factory edge on top sheet with a 5/8 inch overlap. From what I have seen in pictures I've seen a greater overlap to accommodate an edge roll with a tool like the ef60 edge forming tool for instance. I would appreciate any input as far as results of an edge rolled likely down the rivet centerline on the 5/8 seam overlap as called for on the plans. Just worrying ahead. Thanks. Gary. P.s. I haven't got an edge roller yet or I would experiment a bit with it..i am planning on the ef60 at this time..any recommendations here would also be appreciated

So..after seeing more pictures it looks like I just roll down the rivet line and make a nice consistent light edge and the rivets should draw the sheet down as they are set. I will try to leave a bit more overlap at other areas to try to keep rolled edge away from rivet line moving forward. I think I am worried over nothing.

Comment

That's pretty much all it is. Just don't run the seam across the holes. Just a smidge in from the edge to keep it down. You don't want to run the rivets into the ridge. :-)
      Christopher Owens
      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Working...
      X