Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need fresh tools - dril and 3x gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need fresh tools - dril and 3x gun

My old drill is shot--- (it was a sears---- not a good drill to start with....)
    Would like recommendations on an OK small and comfortable drill (variable speed I assume) which wont drain the bank----
    and a 3x gun with a good trigger...seen good reports on the ATS 3X pro--- Something good for all the central spar layers-- since that may be the first wing parts.
    Probably some more thing to gather up- but those are 2 things I know I need. (and building the 2-nd build table)
    Recommendations for drill and gun ?
    Thanks- Tim

Not sure if you are after an air drill or electric... But for large volume jobs like skinning or making a spar, a pneumatic is going to be worth the setup. It is more compact and will cool itself while you work. I find I most often use the electric for general making of stuff, and prefer a 12v lithium that holds the battery entirely in the grip. This keeps it relatively small and light. Save the 19.2v model for installing a new roof on the hangar.

Comment

Several years ago I bought a Pan American Tool Corp air drill at Oshkosh. I now have a pair, a 2600 rpm and a 4000 rpm model. I have really been happy with these drills. And I have found that I need both models.

Comment

I am definitely going with air drill......
        I see there are "palm" sized ones which I assume are compact---
        and there are speeds of 2500 and 4000 rpm. I am thinking of all the rivet holes...... which would be better 2500 or 4000 RPM ? Palm or regular size---- I know I want a good trigger....
        Will look at Pan American tool - never heard of them------
        I could even go for a used name brand drill if it wasnt worn out....
        Sounds like I want a 3x hammer of some kind.... as opposed to 2x... dont want to be pounding away on a #3 and it taking too long and too many hits. Not good for mr. rivet.
        Tim

Comment

This is the one that I carry in the airplane:

And I have one that is very similar for the shop.

I have a Sioux that I almost never use, but if I was going to buy another one I'd probably get one of these:

It looks really similar to the Pan-am. Back when Avery was in business I remember stopping by their booth at Oshkosh and comparing the trigger on the Pan-am and the Sioux, and the Pan-am was actually a little better.

Some folks say that the 4000 rpm is a little fast and is likely to burn up bits, even with aluminum.

Comment

• jaredyates
            jaredyates commented
            Editing a comment
            If I carried a pneumatic, where would I put the compressor?

• Bdflies
            Bdflies commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, I was going to ask if you also carried a rivet gun, but figured that would be dumb... To ask, that is...

Bill

• jaredyates
            jaredyates commented
            Editing a comment
            The story of why I carry the drill is that I ended up stuck away from home and needed a drill to get the airplane flying again, so I borrowed a courtesy car and drove to Lowes to buy one. Since then it has come in handy for several jobs.

Here is a web site http://www.panamericantool.com/

Comment

• hausburn
            hausburn commented
            Editing a comment
            I use one every day! Excellent tool. Get the reversible if you drill cherrymax on occasion.

I would recommend the Ingersoll Rand 3AL1 drill. Get it on eBay.
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
          X