Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avipro Spar and Rib package?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avipro Spar and Rib package?

Anyone here using the spar and rib package from Avipro? Not in a position to get a kit right at the moment, but also not wanting to start from raw sheets of metal. Seems like a good compromise to start building and cut a lot of the time out of wing fabrication. Would like to hear from someone who has gone this route.

Mike
    Plans 1453B

I got the spar and rib package for the patrol, and have very pleased with it.
    DFW

Comment

I'm sure some folks with direct experience will chime in, but I'll say that from a strategy standpoint, the only reason not to go with the wing and spar kit is if you are wanting to say that you built every piece of the airplane. The time savings is a big advantage like you say, but also, you don't have to try and find the right kind of sheet metal brake for the spars, and you don't have to worry about getting the spar blanks bent to the right height to match the ribs. Scratch built Bearhawks are each slightly unique in this measurement, which means that replacement ribs are easiest to be made on the same form block. By using the machine-formed ribs, in the unlikely event you need a replacement, you'll know the dimensions will match. Comparing the cost of materials to the cost of those components, it's a no-brainer unless you are just wanting the enjoyment of building the parts.

Comment

Working...
      X