Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sources for aluminum sheets GTA Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources for aluminum sheets GTA Toronto

Hi guys

I'm trying to source aluminum sheets in Toronto. I can find angle and bar stock..but .040 .025..every where I call they don't stock the thin stuff like that.

there is always aircraft spruce but that' s few hours drive away
    Last edited by way_up_north; 11-10-2017, 04:51 AM.

Guessing you'd know better than me but, Google maps says 1h12m downtown to downtown (2h13m by bus). Then again I was in that area in Sept for Friday afternoon rush hour(s), it was slow going. Even a few hours wouldn't be bad, you're much more likely to end up with undamaged material. Places that aren't used to handling aircraft aluminum don't often take the care it needs to keep it airworthy.

Comment

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      Make the drive. You are fortunate to have Aircraft spruce so close.

Ok good to know

with the bar and angle stock or all metal other then sheets is it still best to source it all through aircraft spruce? I would agree that the local metal shops just toss stuff around and could get scratched up.

Comment

Aircraft Spruce would be the more sure way. It's a crap shoot otherwise - determine your balance of whether the potential savings/convenience is worth the possible bad goods/inconvenience. Also, if traffic is light you get some bonus contemplation time!

Comment

Spruce's prices on aluminum were either the lowest, or very competitive with other on line metal suppliers. TW metals was one I recall as being pretty good. Shipping was always significant. I did buy local one sheet of Al that could not be rolled up, and had to pay extra for the plastic protective cover to be applied. I think a $400 shipping fee is what tipped the hat to a local supplier. If you buy all your aluminum at one time, including the thicker material for your cap strips, spacer bars, and Spar Plates, it may be shipped on the same crated container and help. But since you've so close to Spruce you have just eliminated a significant extra fee.

Toronto might have a good local supplier of aluminum If you can you find out who supplies deHavilland/Bombardier with their aluminum. Old guys at your local EAA chapter that have been building for long time will know.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
        X