Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cracks in new windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracks in new windshield

While installing the windshield I noticed a few very small cracks one side of the windshield after taking off the sticker. I had bought this quite sometime back and only getting to it now, not sure if these small cracks would develop into something bigger after installing. Any advice place?

Thanks
    Hari
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

There a product (solvent?) which any good acrylic manufacturer or repairer will have, which they pour on or inject. It melts the plastic back together as good as new.

I had similar cracks in a plexiglass (acrylic) piece and they did slowly grow, but I mean SLOWLY. Like a few millimetres in 3 years.

Comment

I would think the edge should wick up some of the commercial acrylic cement---- then you could re-polich the transparent surfaces localy (if needed) and maybe sand, bevel and polish
      he whole perimeter of the thing . I have cut plexi before on the bandsaw using a blade with too long a spacing of teeth.... seems like the shock and stress at the edge breaks and
      shatters the edge just like you have there. A fine blade will do better (understanding that whoever made the windshield cut it- ) I suppose you should treat it the same as a prop blade.
      Seal the edge with cement---- re-work the edge surface--- then work hard to ensure that the area is not under localized stress there when it is installed.

Just my limited 2 Cents......

T

Comment

Working...
      X