Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add Baggage Door to existing fuselage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add Baggage Door to existing fuselage

Hi all, new-ish member here. I've been lurking for a while as I dreamed about starting my own build. I've come across a partially completed project, and am contemplating purchasing it. The fuselage is scratch built, and the original builder did not install the optional baggage door. This is definitely something I would want to have. How extensive are the modifications required to add the baggage door? Is it a matter of adding some additional bracing, or are thicker members used in the areas around the door?
    Last edited by RatherBFlying; 03-08-2018, 07:34 PM.

I assume you want both a door to the rear seats and the baggage area, there are no approved plans for just a baggage door. It would be a substantial modification, I don't see any reason it couldn't be done, a lot less work than scratch building the whole fuselage. It would involve cutting out several tubes, adding several tubes and door sills top, bottom and back. Just building the two doors, hinges and latching mechanisms is a lot of work. My only concern would be with all the cutting and welding, causing some distortion or twisting in the frame. Some things to consider are how complete the frame is. Are all fittings, tabs, stringer stand offs complete etc. If you don't have a set of plans I would get one and go over the fuselage carefully before considering a purchase. I can't tell you how many builders after buying a partially complete project have told me they should have just started fresh due to things done wrong, poor workmanship etc that take more time to repair than making them right the first time.

Comment

Working...
    X