Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Model B ribs question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of them is a legit USAF test pilot. I’d say that’s cred!
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I'm about to make rib templates as well. Going with the router table method for lightening holes, are you folks using a fly cutter to cut the holes in the mdf forms for your router to follow?

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        I'm about to make rib templates as well. Going with the router table method for lightening holes, are you folks using a fly cutter to cut the holes in the mdf forms for your router to follow?
        I use a router hole cut jig...Jasper 400J Model 400 Router Circle Cutting Jig
        There is a PDF listed in this thread made by a scratch builder showing its use..I credit them with pioneering using this tool for scratch building...you can make holes fast and accurately with it...any size from 1 inch to 7 and any size between...when you get near the end and cut all the way through...guide the router away from the edge so you dont ding and put a gouge in the circle...you'll have a little edge to clean up ...but its better then risking a gouge in the edge....

or shut off and lift the router out before you break through,,,and finish the last few mm by hand

BUT...2 things I have not tried that might be possible....

could this jig be used to make the holes in the spar?....i`m not saying to do it...but I was wondering if it could be done?...any opinions on if this is a bad idea?...put the pin into the center of the hole then into a hole in the table....might be possible to cut all the holes out in 5 minutes...ive not looked at the pdf in awhile..they might have done it there...already

and not use the jig at all......just drill a hole in your wood part at the center of the lightening hole....then screw your rib down to your router table .....far enough away from the bit to form the right sized hole....then...turn the part on top of the table and work the router up....no $50 jig needed....

Last edited by way_up_north; 05-19-2019, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• Erik
          Erik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info. I saw that the pdf was up there but I'm currently at sea on the USS Theodore Roosevelt and can't download anything or watch videos. I'm trying to get things as lined up as possible to make maximum use of my short stints at home. I'll definitely be looking into that when I get back to the land.

• Chris In Milwaukee
          Chris In Milwaukee commented
          Editing a comment
          Howdy fellow Roosevelt sailor! AIMD IM3 69A, 1993-1995

• Erik
          Erik commented
          Editing a comment
          VAQ-142 Plane Captain supervisor currently, back to the avionics shop next month. I was previously 610 comm/nav at AIMD shore duty.

Nborer---
        You can try watching my rib building video--- its about 30 min. Maybe something there will be helpful.
        Im building a 4 place B and started with the wing ribs.
        It is on this forum -- and I think in this topic I think---
        Tim

Comment

Working...
        X