Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solidworks or AutoCAD Bearhawk 4-place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Bob to agree to any CAD drawings is an achievement. Baby steps.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

Comment

Originally posted by spinningwrench View Post
      Bob has seen and reviewed the shock strut drawing and approved it along with the tailwheel drawing which Eric Newton has also approved of. I have offered it to him for distribution which he has accepted. Bob personally feels the only other drawing that would be helpful is the wing assembly drawing as builders seem to need additional support on that. I don't think he is interested in reviewing any other drawings at this point nor feel the need for them. My drawings do not deliberately give any dimensional data so they don't compete with Bob's original drawing package which every builder would still have to purchase. I don't see how showing an assembly violates any design intent this is no different than Eric Newton's manuals which pictorially show how to build the kit. This is a bit of a conundrum as I feel there is quite a bit more clarity to be brought to these projects in terms of detailing assemblies which show all the hardware much in the style of RV drawings. At this point I will do them for my own interest and share with others on request.
      a detailed view of the wing and spar would be great...what rivets go where....all the hard work done....

Comment

As a quick builder I am at a disadvantage as I haven’t wrestled with this. Did you scratch build your wings, sounds like a interesting challenge.

Comment

As a quick builder I am at a disadvantage as I haven’t wrestled with this. Did you scratch build your wings, sounds like a interesting challenge.
          I’m working on the wings now... but there is some head scratching and lots of double checking the plans

A 3d view with all the parts called out would be very nice

Comment

Are you building a Patrol or 4 place

Comment

Are you building a Patrol or 4 place
              The 4 place

Comment

I work from electronic drawings for most of the fabrication jobs I do. For my wings, I drew the 2 spars in AutoCad, 2D. I do this so that I don't have to scale a paper drawing to get a measurement. I can get the actual measurement from the CAD drawing.

What I found out when I made my wing drawings is that Bob had all the mounting holes for the wing hardware lined up with a rivet hole or on the same spacing. But the spacing for the rivet holes had been rounded down. I calculated that the spacing that was required was a bit different that what Bob indicated. Over the length of the wing, that difference would be significant. I made a drilling template with the rivet spacing on a mill that was accurate to maybe .0005 in. I then used that template to drill the cap strips and the the spars. I also made several other drilling templates to locate the other holes that had similar spacing along the spars. Without the CAD drawing I would have spent a lot more time drilling the thousands of holes in the wing spars. Using drill templates made all the similar parts for both wings interchangeable. I just enlarged the holes to the rivet size I was going to use when I assembles the parts for the wings.

To do the wing rib profiles I had the drawing scanned and then I developed the CAD drawing from that file by overlaying the wing profile CAD file with a grid and plot the lines for the wing profile. That was the most time consuming part of doing drawings.

Comment

I sent you a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by S Lathrop View Post
                    ... the spacing for the rivet holes had been rounded down. I calculated that the spacing that was required was a bit different that what Bob indicated. Over the length of the wing, that difference would be significant.
                    I would disagree.

12.25/12 is the exact rivet spacing on the patrol. There plans indicate 1.021. 150 rivets later that's only an error of .025. if your drilling is that precise you're doing pretty well.

But regardless, use a rivet fan and live your life!
                    Last edited by Chewie; 12-23-2019, 06:32 PM.
                    Mark
                    Scratch building Patrol #275
                    Hood River, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post

I would disagree.

12.25/12 is the exact rivet spacing on the patrol. There plans indicate 1.021. 150 rivets later that's only an error of .025. if your drilling is that precise you're doing pretty well.

But regardless, use a rivet fan and life your life!
                      A model 4 place. #623
                      Last edited by S Lathrop; 06-09-2019, 07:46 AM.

Comment

I am working on it. It isn't perfect but a work in progress.
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeos98 View Post
                          I am working on it. It isn't perfect but a work in progress.
                          Would love to get a copy of that when you're done.

Comment

Working...
                          X