Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B Model Wing Specs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B Model Wing Specs

Good Evening!

I'm currently working on a spreadsheet for the ribs in the B Model wings and I am stumped by the flanges for the Aileron Pocket Ribs. It says 9 Left and 9 Right but doesn't specify (or I can't locate the information) if all right flanged pocket ribs go in the right wing, etc. or if they vary based on position as most of the other ribs do. My guess, based on the layout of the other ribs, would be that the flanges go outboard with the exception of the ribs that define the space for the aileron hinge mounts. In those locations the flanges would face away from the space. But that is merely a guess. Looking forward to any insight. Thanks in advance!

Todd Weld
    Plans #1515B
    www.facebook.com/N729TW/

I don't have my plans to hand at the moment but IIRC there are small arrows showing the rib orientation .....

Comment

There are arrows on most. The aileron pocket ribs seem to be the exception. Common sense suggests an order based on the way the other ribs are laid out in the wing, but I'd like someone with more experience than myself to validate that assumption.
      Todd Weld
      Plans #1515B
      www.facebook.com/N729TW/

Comment

I built my A-wing with all pocket rib flanges pointing toward the pocket. My remembrance is that it was easier to rivet them positioned that way. Also looks better.

Comment

Another data point... the photo below is a Patrol wing from the factory. Looks like the flanges point towards the hinge mount. I agree that Ray's method would look better.

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 8.20.24 PM.png
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Ray Strickland
            Ray Strickland commented
            Editing a comment
            I may have not made myself clear. Flanges pointed towards the hinge pocket (as in the photo above) is the same, I think, as flanges pointed toward the hinge mount. “Looks better” may be a misstatement.

Thanks guys! Looking at that picture it is apparent how that setup would make riveting easier. So in the end it comes down to ease of maintenance and building rather than anything structural?
          Todd Weld
          Plans #1515B
          www.facebook.com/N729TW/

Comment

Here is the link for the spread sheet I've been working on to keep track of the wing rib information for the Model B wing. I've found Model B specific data spread out or difficult to find and hope others in the same boat may find this useful. Areas where the plans seem unclear are marked with a (?) and I welcome any corrections or suggestions for the information presented.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1neIKKv8xP6BriQqLrJN6nVoGK3yZGXzLEcqYtbcCWkc/edit?usp=sharing
            Todd Weld
            Plans #1515B
            www.facebook.com/N729TW/

Comment

Originally posted by Weldingiron View Post
              Here is the link for the spread sheet I've been working on to keep track of the wing rib information for the Model B wing. I've found Model B specific data spread out or difficult to find and hope others in the same boat may find this useful. Areas where the plans seem unclear are marked with a (?) and I welcome any corrections or suggestions for the information presented.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1neIKKv8xP6BriQqLrJN6nVoGK3yZGXzLEcqYtbcCWkc/edit?usp=sharing
              This is an awesome resource...Thanks for posting it...

Comment

Working...
              X