Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk B Model - Flap Rib Joggle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk B Model - Flap Rib Joggle?

Looking for some input as I'm finishing up on my wing form blocks. The Flap and Aileron Ribs fit inside the flight control spar, so my question is what does the joggle look like to clear the Nose Skin and the spar?

Andy (Wyo Johnson)
    1423B

Originally posted by Wyo Johnson View Post
    Looking for some input as I'm finishing up on my wing form blocks. The Flap and Aileron Ribs fit inside the flight control spar, so my question is what does the joggle look like to clear the Nose Skin and the spar?

Andy (Wyo Johnson)
    1423B
    I`m not at that point yet but I thought this video might help, it zooms in a few times 00:49 to the point youre asking about. but its low res....Dave does answer questions on his youtube vids...maybe drop him a line here or on there....he is desert bearhawk on here...

good luck,,,

Comment

This video is highly relevant where I'm at right now, thanks.
      "Orbit of Mars... relative humidity..." DesertBearhawk always cracks me up!
      Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

You forgot the dog walking in a left hand circle!

Glad Someone finds my videos entertaining.
        Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
        Project Plans #1299
        N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

I'm not sure Wyo's original question was answered....

The Model B plans clearly show a joggle for the center ribs and top of the pocket rib; but it is not clear if the flap and aileron trailing ribs need to be joggled or not. The spar is drawn to match the contour of the nose ribs...

From available photos of other builds, it does not appear that the flap and aileron trailing ribs are joggled, and the flange of the spar sticks up above the contour of the ribs?

Is this a change from the A model to the B ?

Is joggling optional here? ...or should the spar flange be bent so the un-joggled trailing rib just fits tight into the flanges?
          Karl
          Bearhawk Bravo #1508B - Scratch Build (wings)
          Northern Idaho

Comment

here are some photo captures of the Model B aileron and flap plans...
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 5 photos.
            Karl
            Northern Idaho

Comment

When modeling it up, I found that I think they should be joggled. Otherwise those triangle-shaped ends (can’t remember the name of the top of my head) on the plans drawing 9 & 10 won’t lay flat for riveting. Although, that’s in modeling; real life, not there yet.
              John Wiltberger
              Model B - #1544B
              Maricopa, AZ

Comment

In the past, Bob has apparently said joggling is optional and will not likely affect the final product. Not sure if that was in the old forum, Beartracks, or elsewhere. I'm fairly certain Proto II was built with no joggles on the wing ribs. If you already made a joggling device for the center wing ribs though, it wouldn't hurt to apply it to the aileron/flap ribs also. Note you may have to round the upper and lower corners of the aileron and flap ribs to clear the inner radius of the spars as they snuggle up against the spar web (N/A for the center wing ribs).

Comment

Joggling in flaps and ailerons not needed at all.
                  By the time anti chaff tape, fabric, over tapes go on
                  everything is smooth and slick.

KD # 272

Comment

Here is the precise answer from Bob to the question of joggling the flap & aileron ribs:

"If you are careful you can do it without the joggle"

I interpret this to mean: while joggling can be optional... it is recommended...
                    Karl
                    Northern Idaho

Comment

For the record, the factory ribs have joggles.
                      Brooks Cone
                      Southeast Michigan
                      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Thanks Karl, I've had lots of meetings lately at work so that turns into lots of study time on my phone reviewing the drawings! It always cracks me up how detailed the drawings are and where you find the details you need.

I went ahead and built the joggles into the form block drawings, leaving a tolerance for primer.

Andy Johnson
                        4 Place -1423B Derby KS

Comment

Working...
                        X