Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aileron & flap trailing rib fit to spars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aileron & flap trailing rib fit to spars

I have a question regarding how the flap & aileron trailing rib fit into the spars...

...hopefully this effort to further explain the specifics of what should be a relatively simple question does not over complicate what I'm asking...

I cut all my ribs using the mylar template assuming no thickness value for the line representing the spars; so of course the nose and center ribs for the wing will need to be custom trimmed to account for the variable height of stacked cap strips.

Additionally, the trailing flap and aileron ribs will therefore need to be trimmed to account for the doubler plates.

Where the center wing ribs fit into the spars, the spars are bent with an oblique angle, while the flap and aileron spars include an acute angle where the trailing ribs fit into the spar. Because of this geometry, the upper and lower corners appear to clash with the inside of the bend radius...

so... in addition to any necessary trimming to account for the thickness of the spar and doublers, am I correct in assuming that the upper and lower corners should be trimmed/rounded off to prevent clashing with the radius of the spar bend?? The detail for the pocket rib shows these corners trimmed off, but there is no similar detail showing this for the flap & aileron ribs...
    Karl
    Bearhawk Bravo #1508B - Scratch Build (wings)
    Northern Idaho

Karl,
    That's what I did, you can kind of see the result in the attached image. I just rounded off the corners on a belt sander. It leaves a knife-edge on the flange, which can be filed blunt by hand.

Keep the edge of the trimmed rib flange in mind when you locate your rivets. YMMV but the Patrol plans show that at each rib location, there is a particular rivet on top and bottom that passes through skin, spar, rib and sometimes a gusset all at once. With the flange of the rib trimmed back and a 1/8" rivet hole, edge distance margins can get pretty tight. You may want to shift those holes back 1/8" or so depending on your rivet line.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

Thanks Mark! That looks great! I will mind the rivet locations!
      Karl
      Bearhawk Bravo #1508B - Scratch Build (wings)
      Northern Idaho

Comment

Working...
      X