Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Center rib stiffener angle orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center rib stiffener angle orientation

The rib plan (sheet 3 or 3B) depicts the center rib stiffeners installed with the vertical leg oriented toward the trailing edge of the wing. I know that the stiffeners can conflict with riveting the skins later if they are too close to the rivet location. If I install my stiffeners with the vertical leg toward the leading edge of the wing, then they align well with my flutes and provide ample room for riveting without clearance concerns.

Is the orientation of the vertical leg of the stiffener angle critical? Is there any reason I shouldn't orient the angle opposite of how it is depicted on the plans to provide better clearance for the skin rivets?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Karl
    Bearhawk Bravo #1508B - Scratch Build (wings)
    Northern Idaho

The stiffener will perform its job to stiffen the rib irregardless or its orientation. So yes, you’ll make things easier on yourself if you align the stiffener with a flute to provide more room for the bucking bar. Even if they align with the rivet is not a big issue.
    image.jpg
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Thanks Brooks! I'm ready to start drilling and attaching, so even though it only makes a 1/2 inch difference...barring any other reason to the contrary, I'm planning to reverse the orientation and buy a little more room to work the bucking bar...
      Karl
      Bearhawk Bravo #1508B - Scratch Build (wings)
      Northern Idaho

Comment

Working...
      X