Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distance between main landing gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance between main landing gear

I am looking for a satisfactory measurement in inches between the brake rotors (Cleveland brakes). I have measured a couple of flying 4 place BH and they both measured about 63 inches. Whereas mine measures 57 inches, that on a non-flying 4 place BH with an 0540 and wings installed. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Terry
    4 place QB

Terry, Bob uses a different dimension in his 72" specification- instead of going from rotor to rotor, he goes from the center of the tire: http://bearhawk.tips/717
    If you have all of the parts on hand, you could measure the distance from the center of the tire to the inside of the rotor and translate your numbers to his.

Comment

With the weight of a fully assembled plane, plus oil, fuel, etc. it causes the main landing gear to splay out a lot. Also the springs may soften just a little over time.

The other thing is, when you are building, sometimes you don't move the plane far enough between adding weight, to allow the gear legs to splay out. You have to roll it backwards and forwards quite a lot.

A final thought, if the planes you were measuring have been turned around, the gear may be wider than normal. The action of turning a Bearhawk around on the spot causes the main landing gear to splay out, until you move off in a straight line and the springs can pull the legs back together.

Comment

Jared and Jon, thanks for the responses. After digging through back issues of Beartracks I think I more readily understand the procedure.

Terry

Comment

I recall having to adjust mine to the minimum thread engagement to get them far enough apart. If you get a minimum engagement number from Bob please report back for the next generation.

Comment

Working...
          X