Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Door/lift strut interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door/lift strut interface

Has anyone ever thought of and/or tried modifying the front door hinges to make them miss the struts and therefore not need the little flapper at the bottom? I was thinking one could lengthen the bottom hinge point away from the fuselage and make open out and up. It seems like the C180 has something similar to this.
    Then a cabinet latch could be strapped onto the strut and the door would not only open further, but it would clear the strut and latch open.
    Please forgive my ignorance if this is a dead horse that has already been beaten I've and over. I only had a brief time to examine the Bearhawks I saw at Oshkosh, but this is one of the few things I didn't particularly like about them at first glance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not like the little "mouse door" either when I built N370CC, I moved the bottom hinge point aft so the door clears the strut just fine. The door actually opens just as far or farther this way. Couple of pictures...

Collin
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• tf104
      tf104 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just wanted to thank you for posting this information I incorporated it into my build and am very happy with the results.

This has been talked about a few times. The mouse door is something I didn't really like either but the reality, IMO, is that it is the simplest most effective way to make the door open wider giving the easiest access possible. I tried to come up with an alternative, Collin posted his alternative, and others have tried to come up with something. Each method compromises something. I ended going with seaplane doors but it does make it a little harder to get in/out.
    Last edited by whee; 09-01-2016, 05:24 PM.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Originally posted by Collin Campbell
      I did not like the little "mouse door" either when I built N370CC, I moved the bottom hinge point aft so the door clears the strut just fine. The door actually opens just as far or farther this way. Couple of pictures...

Collin
      It seems like you're losing leg room by opening that way. Am I correct in it looking like you actually have a smaller opening than normal? The biggest problem I can see with what I had in mind would be a hinge sticking out into the airstream further. But I do like that the doors look cleaner.

Comment

I never felt like I needed more leg room with the door this way. After all it is just like the Patrol and LSA door.

Collin

Comment

Originally posted by Zac Weidner View Post

It seems like you're losing leg room by opening that way. Am I correct in it looking like you actually have a smaller opening than normal? The biggest problem I can see with what I had in mind would be a hinge sticking out into the airstream further. But I do like that the doors look cleaner.

Yes it is a little less - I'm 6 foot 2 - and for me it was a little tricky, I flew down and looked at N370CC with its new owner (beautiful plane, great job on the built Collin!) . I suspect that once one got a little practice it would be just fine.

I was looking for some pictures I saw of another door configuration, top half swings up, and then the bottom half, instead of a mouse trap, it actually folded in half (hinge ran vertically in the middle of bottom half of the door) and then it could be swung all the way open and miss the strut so that you could get the door completely out of the way. I can't remember where the heck I saw it, but thought it was an interesting idea. I'd like to see it in person though.

Comment

• Battson
            Battson commented
            Editing a comment
            You're not mis-remembering, I saw that double folding door too.

Sounds kind of like a cub door?

Comment

Originally posted by Zzz View Post
            Sounds kind of like a cub door?
            Think of a door with a second vertical hinge line, half way along. A double-folding door that folds back upon itself.
            More like the folding of a bird's wing, than a Cub door.
            It was really something...

Comment

Wow, I love how homebuilders come up with great new ideas! We already built our doors but I would have at least considered these if I had been aware... of course we have taken long enough with our own changes! Maybe better I didn't know!!

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post

Think of a door with a second vertical hinge line, half way along. A double-folding door that folds back upon itself.
                More like the folding of a bird's wing, than a Cub door.
                It was really something...
                Ah yes, that does sound like a good idea.

Comment

I don't have a great picture, but Ernie split his door. ErniesDoor.JPG

Comment

Several pics of Ernie's BH that show the split door.

Comment

Yep that is the one that I saw - I'm pretty sure Ernie sold it ( I saw it listed on barnstormers several months ago). I would love to get more details on how the door was built - anyone happen to have communication with Ernie - would be great if maybe he had some build pictures or could provide some details on how he built it.

Edit: Actually while looking for more info on Ernie's plane I saw a video of mswain (I think) flying in Ernie's bearhawk - perhaps if you know him - could check if there are any build photos or details on the folding door?
                      Last edited by corefile; 09-04-2016, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I found yet another door option - another one where the bottom portion split in half to avoid the strut- but very different from how Ernie did his. Its at 40 seconds in this video:

Comment

Working...
                        X