Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kit Order Sequence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am making really good progress on my kit, and hope to fly by early summer. Unfortunately do to my inexperience building planes, I was very inefficient in the build process. I resurrected this thread to pass along some things along.

I think I would do the wings and tail first, finish them, and get them out of the way. If you have the space I would work on a bunch of things simultaneously. That way you are never waiting for parts or material. But I would rather have wings sitting around for a while, than avionics (getting obsolete) and engine (getting rusty). You might want to mount the wings to the fuselage once for the flap tubes, fuel lines, and if an older kit, drilling the wings. New kits have the wings drilled. Since everything is jib built at the factory, one improvement for the kit would be to drill the flap arms on a jig at the factory. Plans built would have to be with the wings mounted.

When it comes to the fuselage, I would get the gear mounted and fitted, and then remove it. Put it on a rotisserie. Second, if you want some of the fuselage tubing painted, do it right after putting the fuselage on the rotisserie. I painted the cockpit tubing the same as the external part of the aircraft, but had to do a lot of disassembly to do it. It would have been easier and less of a mess in the beginning.

The fuselage would come off of the rotisserie, covered, painted, all systems installed, instruments and most if not all avionics installed. Put the gear back on, then mount the engine. I probably spent 2 or 3 times the man-hours on the fuselage that I should have.

One thing I also did the last 6 months is mount the engine on the dynafocal mount, and then mount it to a big engine stand with a plywood copy of the firewall. Almost all of the electrical, fuel, oil, half the baffling work, throttle cable, prop cable (not yet for me) will be done, and transferred to the real firewall, which I already started to do. I only left a few wires and hoses with 1 end unterminated for the final install. I did all this with then engine a few feet from the fuselage so I could measure things to make sure they fit and didn't interfere with structure. Had I not done this, I would have spent 3-6 months on the FWF alone, most of which would be waiting for parts.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by svyolo View Post

The fuselage would come off of the rotisserie, covered, painted, all systems installed, instruments and most if not all avionics installed. Put the gear back on, then mount the engine. I probably spent 2 or 3 times the man-hours on the fuselage that I should have.

One thing I also did the last 6 months is mount the engine on the dynafocal mount, and then mount it to a big engine stand with a plywood copy of the firewall. Almost all of the electrical, fuel, oil, half the baffling work, throttle cable, prop cable (not yet for me) will be done, and transferred to the real firewall, which I already started to do. I only left a few wires and hoses with 1 end unterminated for the final install. I did all this with then engine a few feet from the fuselage so I could measure things to make sure they fit and didn't interfere with structure. Had I not done this, I would have spent 3-6 months on the FWF alone, most of which would be waiting for parts.

Just my opinion.
      Can you be more specific about the order of things you did in the fuselage? Did you cover the fuselage before you installed the systems? I'm thinking I'll cover mine after the systems are installed. (meaning electrical system, instrument panel engine controls, all control cables, like Parking brake, heat control, all windows fit and I cant think of what else.)

This post is helping me evaluate my next steps.... I was not considering messing with firewall forward, but I can see that education, securing parts, and installing them will be slow and time consuming. Hummmmm.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I would not cover until systems are complete, or at least the ones under cloth. I don't have anything electric planned aft of the cargo bulkhead. Just control cables and static ports and lines. I wouldn't cover until I have all control lines to the rudder, elevator, and trim sorted and installed. If you have electric elevator trim, that will need to be installed, and made serviceable after cover.

I guess a lot depends on your experience with airplanes, and in my case building or owning one is zero. But I would put fit the gear, remove it, and put the fuselage on a rotisserie. Then paint any part of the tubing I planned to paint. The rest of the sequence is a bit more flexible.

Comment

• Bcone1381
          Bcone1381 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks !!!!

I have a month or so away from my project and I will use a bit of time each day sorting my kit build log. I have been putting some thought into kit sequence, as mine was........well lets say less than optimum. Very disorganized.

For myself, I like to have more than one thing going on at a time. Since most of us don't live down the street from one of the aircraft supply vendors, constantly waiting for parts to continue would be a gigantic waste of time.

On a different thread Mark G has requested recommendations on changes to make the kit easier to build. Avipro now drills the wings to the fuselage, which is a big help. I think drilling the flap arms on a jig would also be a nice improvement. I know there is risk in having it slightly off, but the accuracy of the wings and fuselage structures, as built by the factory, should, to a large extent, mitigate this.

It would be nice for kit builders to only have to mount the wings to the fuselage once.

Last edited by svyolo; 11-22-2019, 05:09 AM.

Comment

I suspect that you will have the first flying model B. (Marks is a modified Model A of course.) Thats something to be very proud of.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• svyolo
            svyolo commented
            Editing a comment
            Rob is a bit farther along than I am, and I am taking month or two off right now. I think my fuselage or wings are B #8 on the plaque.
        Working...
        X