Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress

Today I plan to move the plane to the airport to begin final assembly. The fuselage is complete and I feel like I have completed a major mile stone in the building process.
    Attached Files

Congratulations! I remember when I moved my RV-8 to the airport I was really excited thinking I would be in the air soon. Well, it was several months, but actually working on the airplane AT the airport was a lot of fun.

Enjoy it!
    -------------------
    Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

You have reached a major milestone! And it sounds like you should celebrate by writing a Beartracks article!

Comment

congrats, that is a major milestone!

Comment

This is a big deal - congratulations are in order!! Time will fly by now...

Comment

It is finished! Oh yes there are some minor trim pieces that I want to build and install but it is ready to fly and we have passed the inspection. I now have an airplane instead of a hanger queen. Sometime next week I will fly it for the first time.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

congrats! hope to see some first flight pics and video

Comment

Mark was right. It gets of the ground very fast. I can't imagine the performance with a 250 engine. We flew 1.1 today. The rigging is almost perfect as we can fly hands off for a good period. The ball is not always centered as this pilot flops around in the air. Need to work on that. Reluctant to let go too much as it is a new plane and something could go wrong any time.

We have some new airplane problems. High oil temp issues with high cylinder head temps. It seems to be coming down and is to be expected with a new engine. We will see how the engine breaks in. The trim system seems to perform well. Not as sensitive as most perhaps are as I have a 2:1 gear reduction system built into the trim wheel. Did an approach stall with no tendency to drop a wing tip. It tracks very straight down the runway. Very happy with the ground handling. It is on 850 tires so the visibility could be better but that is the price for the larger tires. This might end up being a keeper for sometime.

Comment

Congratulations once again!

Looking at the photos, it looks light on the gear (narrow track width). What did it weigh in the end?

Comment

The empty weight is 1396. I thought a little heavy. Good observation of the position of the gear. It measures a little narrow. I am waiting for it to be loaded to normal flying conditions before adjusting the gear. It is 68.5 right now. It only has enough fuel to do a short test hop. We will see if it needs to be adjusted out a little.

Comment

• Battson
                      Battson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Still a pretty light aircraft, given the utility you get!
                  Working...
                  X