Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rudder pedal assembly binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudder pedal assembly binding

I'd welcome any ideas for curing a binding rudder pedal assembly. It's only the right side but as soon as I tighten the attachment bolts it binds. Both sides move freely otherwise , that is on the bench. I've tried removing the attachment bolts on the left side thinking they might be causing binding. No effect. I've tried shimming thinking it might be a vertical misalignment that was causing the problem. No difference. It seems like the last few turns on the attachment bolt is causing binding in the bearing itself. Since it's welded unit and can't be taken apart I'm at a loss on how to proceed.

I bet loosening it 1/2 a turn fixes the problem
    N678C
    https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Craig, I had a similar issue with the control stick attachments, tried shimming and a number of other things. Eventually I realized that when I tightened the bolts, it was pulling the feet down, and warping the bushing very slightly out of it's round shape, causing it to bind. From memory I added washer somewhere so that it held the assembly firmly in place to the airframe, but without distorting it.

Just something else to check.
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Thanks Jay and Nev,
        Jay, I have tried leaving the attachment bolts not full tightened but I had to leave them dangerously loose with some play to effect free movement.

Nev, I did try and place washers under the bearing feet without any improvement.
        Do you think that the paint thickness on the bearing feet mating surface could cause enough distortion if it was uneven ?
        I think I might fasten the assembly to a flat metal bar and see if it binds. If is does I'll know the problem is most likely in the pedal assembly itself. On the contrary if it moves freely then the problem is in the fuselage attachment point.

Comment

Just use a hammer…. A big hammer

obviously kidding
          N678C
          https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
          Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Craig, I doubt it would be the paint thickness, (but I've been wrong before). It could be that the bushing is being pulled so that the bushing axis doesn't line up with the pedal assembly axis, the bushing is "tilting". Someone else will chime in soon with some ideas.

A tip I was given that worked well throughout my build. Have 3 small projects on the go. E.g. rudder pedals, brake assembly, control stick. Every day, at least one part of a project will hit a brick wall, run out of parts, make a mistake etc. Sleep on it, and carry on with another of the small projects. They all self resolve and it's amazing how often you'll wake up and find someone on the forum has solved the issue for you, or the solution just comes to you while working on another part. Sometimes the problem was bigger, on a couple of occasions I even had to get a professional welder in to fix something ! But they all resolve.
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Nev
              Nev commented
              Editing a comment
              I see you've built a few planes before so I'm sure you know more about this than I do

• Craig Ellison
              Craig Ellison commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Nev for the great advice. I do tend to get fixated on a problem and progress suffers. Thanks also for staying engaged on the builders forum for the benefit of us who follow. Much appreciated ! Just a note also , I followed your YouTube channel for your build , loved every post. I love hearing you speak , it reminds me of my late father who was born in Wellington.

Hi Craig Lay the rudder pedals on a flat surface and make sure that the mounts all sit flat and not at any angle. Rotate the mounts back and forth while on the flat suface to make sure they are in the centre of the movement.You may need a taper shim or file the mount slightly to fit.
            Last edited by huntaero; 11-27-2022, 11:23 AM. Reason: more things to check

Comment

• Craig Ellison
              Craig Ellison commented
              Editing a comment
              Good idea, I will try. Thanks

Put a straight edge on the mounts also to make sure they are parallel.

Comment

Thank you Nev and hunteraero for your ideas and input. I was able to see a slight lateral tipping of the pedal foot which when fastened torqued the bearing. Some filing on the outboard portion solved the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X