Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk LSA Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am able to point you to a published third-party review by a respected test pilot, put you in touch with LSA builders and flyers, and even link threads here where builders have already done exactly what you are asking them to do again. But I am excluded by your terms because I'm friends with Bob and Mark. And I'm not appreciating your premise that anyone is intimidated to reply here, because it's my (unpaid) job to ensure otherwise. If you have something to support this premise, I'm all ears, but you haven't shared that yet. You are making a pretty bold but so far unsubstantiated accusation there. Similarly, your premise that anyone who supports the type is untrustworthy is a pretty abrasive but unsupported accusation.

I'm hearing your preference that we not comment on your attitude, but your attitude is contrary to the posted rules, and it is my role to enforce them.

Realizing that I might not have been direct enough in my first reply, let me say it this way. These are the terms of your continued welcome here:
    -Don't make unsubstantiated personal attacks
    -Since you already have, mitigate those by telling us more about who you are and where you are coming from, in your next post

Since you are sensitive on the censorship point, let me also reiterate that my response is not because of the substance of your content, but rather the abrasive delivery. Disagreements are always welcome, but nastyness is not.

Comment

The info you are asking for is scattered throughout this forum. Jared only added the "completed flying Bearhawks" section sometime in the last year in order to consolidate the type of info you are looking for. Before that everyone just posted it where ever it seemed appropriate like in the flying and test flying section or under the model specific section so it might take awhile to dig out what you want. The LSA is the most recent addition to the lineup (other than the companion which isn't flying yet) so there are fewer of them flying, I have no idea how many.

I'll share my buying experience briefly, I was suspicious of over stated performance numbers too. I managed to get a ride in a Patrol and within 20 seconds of takeoff I knew the numbers on the website were understated. It took off shorter, climbed faster and as soon as we leveled off at about 1000 AGL we went right through the advertised cruise speed. I ordered my kit a week later and have been flying it for a couple years now. At 75% I see 125-130 kts. If I were to ever need 300 feet of runway to take off I would think there was something terribly wrong with my engine. I usually keep the tanks full because, unlike my last plane, the extra weight just doesn't seem to matter.

I did get to fly an LSA once and loved it. It was Mark's LSA, I don't remember how fast it went but it is an impressive performer and flying it is just like Wayne described at the beginning of this thread, minus the oil temp issues, that had been resolved long before I met the plane.

Hopefully you will find the info you are looking for. The main thing that convinced me to build the Patrol though was seeing it perform better than advertised.
      Rollie VanDorn
      Findlay, OH
      Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Rollie, thank you. I'm buying everything you said about the Patrol, there's enough info and videos of its impressive STOL capability. Full flaps with a slip and it's stopped in a very short distance. Climbs like a rocket with 180hp. From what I've read it cruises a little faster than the 4 place with the same engine and prop. It was my first choice but realistically a little out of my price range to operate. So, I'm leaning towards the LSA, would just like more specs/pros & cons from builders. Kitfox is fantastic too, just wish it was tandem.

Good stuff, keep it coming

Comment

Working...
        X