Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib stitching the verticle fin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rib stitching the verticle fin

Hi all,We are looking for advice on rib stitching the verticle fin on our Patrols. The gap between the fabric and the lower rib on the right side is so far it is very hard to push it in to the rib. The left side is OK. It seems that the pressure on the stitches would be extreem if we forced the fabric in to the rib. What have others done? Thanks Dennis

I riveted an aluminum strip to the rib. Looks pretty good and smooth.

Comment

It is a little late for this advice Dennis but the real trick is not shrinking the fabric too much in that area. Mark

Comment

Piper doesn't call for the rib stitches to be tightened to the vertical tail ribs. Just enough to place tension on the stitches to prevent drumming of the fabric.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Mark Moyle; 05-18-2015, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the coments. Not tighting the fabric as much would be the best thing to do but as Mark said that ship has sailed. At this point we are considering not rib stitching that rib at all. My Pacer has no stitching in that aera and is fine. Any thoughs? Dennis

Comment

I just spoke with Bob Barrows and he said that would be no problem to leave the bottom rib without rib stitching. Mark

Comment

Piper drawings call for stitching the top rib on PA20 and 22. I stitched the second rib down...vacillated a bit...before doing it as it was stitched there for the 1980 recover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

For the record, I glued on wooden aerofoil profiles and rib stitched the fabric to those profiles.
                I guess we might have increased our rudder control as a result, based on the knowledge around the profiles on the horizontal stabiliser.

I have to say, I liked the look of the vertical fin better before I put in all that rib stitching.
                I also did some research and concluded the stitching wasn't really necessary. But I went ahead and stitched it anyway, seeing as I had attached the profiles, I didn't want the fabric beating against the wood (I did use anti-chaffing tape).

Comment

haribole
                #8.2
                haribole commented
                10-22-2016, 04:17 AM
                Hi Battson, have you installed a wooden aerofoil profiles for both the top and the bottom ribs?
                Yes I have. If you Google search this forum, there is a thread in which I posted pictures.

Comment

Working...
                X