Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I looked it up and the cables I used are the A-920 from ACS. Other than the slot, which yours has, the A-920 has a flex joint at the beginning of the end terminals. That is the other black thing in the picture. The cable does move up and down somewhat due to the movement of the tab attach point so I'd be sure that movement won't cause a bind with your fixed cable. I looked at the pictures of my system someone posted which reminded me (can't believe I forgot) that the point someone told me needed reinforcing was the bracket where the cables were attached. You can see it in the background behind the bell crank mechanism. That was made out of .032 and could have allowed movement because it spanned the verticals at whatever bay that is. I didn't realize you bell crank was .032 but I think redoing that in .100 would be a good idea. I'm not sure, but that's probably what mine is. As for cables exiting the elevator, if you can get a hold of the Stewart installation videos they have a demonstration on how to make a very nice cover control cable cover which allows for that movement. No plans for OSH though we will be flying to Mark's gathering at his ranch in April. Pat

Comment

• rv8bldr
      rv8bldr commented
      Editing a comment
      I used the A-930 because it had 1/4-28 ends rather than the smaller 10-32 ends. I will thoroughly check end-to-end movement to make sure I don't get any binds/rubbing/etc.

I do have the Stewart videos on DVD so I will look that up.

Thanks a bunch

• I finally got back to drilling my spars, after a week in scenic Juarez on business. Not much visual progress yet, but getting closer to taking it all back apart for priming.

Comment

• I've been welding some tabs on the fuselage.

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• rv8bldr
        rv8bldr commented
        Editing a comment
        Ow. Been there, done that.

And I learned early on that, even if a piece of steel is black (i.e. not glowing), it can STILL BE HOT !

• lsa140
        lsa140 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ouch, looks like you have been branded a Bearhawk builder. You can see the hole and everything. I grabbed a test cluster the other day and got my hand pretty good. The Aloe vera plant growing in the window sure came in handy.

• Been there as well. Leaning across the fuse to weld a cluster and smell something burning from the fire squirting back through the tube at my belly. I've still got the scorch marks on the ceiling in my shop where I pointed the torch while inspecting my welds on the upper fuselage. What fun, Pat

Comment

• Well my building plans for today and tomorrow have been disrupted by a sudden and unexpected work trip to Mississippi, the good news is that my 2024 should have been delivered by the time I get home!
        Steve Nicholson
        Lafayette, LA

4 Place Scratch build #1377 in progress (Wings)

Comment

• Bdflies
          Bdflies commented
          Editing a comment
          Good news, on both fronts. Give 'em your best, at work and come home, to enjoy the process of building an airplane! Both are rewarding endeavors, but in different ways.

Bill

• Originally posted by Deftone
        I think that will be
        the model year of my Patrol.
        Mark
        Scratch building Patrol #275
        Hood River, OR

Comment

• Wrapped up the last of the nose ribs. Woohoo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Christopher Owens
          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• I really liked getting my aluminum from the people that have an advertisement picturing a woman standing in the middle of a roll of aluminum. Can't think of their name off hand, might be Airpa
            rts. They will sell you a roll of almost any length you want. You can then slice open one side of the box and just slide out whatever amount you want to use like you would a roll of aluminum foil. Much easier to deal with when making all your wing parts than trying to cut up a 4 X 12 sheet. One advantage to getting from ACS is it will have a protective coating. Pat

Comment

• Deftone
              Deftone commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not sure on the ad you mention, I did get a quote from airparts, however it was not even close to ACS, although perhaps a larger bulk price will be be more competitive, I only quoted for 3 sheets of 0.025 and 1 sheet of 0.032.

• My first spar is on the table, prepared to be assembled.

Отправлено с моего Lenovo Z2 через Tapatalk

Attached Files
            Patrol #314(scratch building)
            Moscow, Russia

Comment

• Skylight 1.JPG Skylight.JPG skylight2.JPG

Worked on Skylight

Comment

• Worked on stringer install used a laser level to lay out the positions, and the rotisserie to level the airframe to line up the FWD and AFT positions

stgr1.JPG stgr2.JPG stgr3.JPG strgr.JPG

Comment

• Fabricated Brake reservoirs out of 5052 flat sheet .050 and an old yard light mounting tube. Used a -5 AN tube fitting on top for a filler, drilled a hole in the cap for a vent and used a -4 AN tube fitting on the bottom

brake res1.JPG brake res.JPG

Comment

• I got my Flap Spars bent over the weekend!

The EAA has a 10' brake and with the help of another Bearhawk builder, I got approval from the EAA to swing by the Kermit Weeks Hanger to use it. A gentleman named Eric was on duty this weekend. The Weeks Hanger had a 8 foot brake, but the 10' brake was stuck in the corner of the hanger 100' to the East. Eric had to get a fork lift to move a pallet holding a lower horsepower radial engine of some kind to have access to it. The Brake was gently used, but looked to me like it will become a relic if more of us don't start using it. I wished I had a 3M pad, some oil and a grease gun with me to clean it up. I was very grateful and told Eric so. He said "It gets used about once every 10 years."

So, here I am, one-on-one with this thing. I made adjustments to the placement of the clamping bar in relation to the bending leaf. I then made my practice pieces, being sure that I had everything set to bend the real thing. Then I saw a placard on it that, for just a moment, made my heart sink. I am sure it was typed with an old IBM electric typewriter (remember those?) "Only these people have authority to use this Brake." Then it listed about 11 names. I didn't even review the names....I new I would be excluded from this exclusive group. My next question was "How many of these guys are still alive." I mean this thing is bullet proof. Like I said, the sinking feeling lasted just a moment.

I looked left, then right...the hanger is still empty and dark....wish I had more light...and said to myself..."I think its okay" I then started to imagine the committee meeting that resulted in the placard's placement and in my intentional non-compliance. I now wish kind of wish I had read the names to see if I recognized anyone. Who knows, maybe Pat Schiffer got his name listed there.

Brooks Cone
                    Chelsea, MI
                    Scratch Building Patrol #313
                    Last edited by Bcone1381; 03-21-2016, 10:56 AM. Reason: speling
                    Brooks Cone
                    Southeast Michigan
                    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Chris In Milwaukee
                      Chris In Milwaukee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      How did they turn out? Have any photos to share? Did you do anything special with the brake other than dust it off? I need a bigger shop!

• Congrats Brooks! Sounds like your approval came in the form of a forklift.
                    Mark
                    Scratch building Patrol #275
                    Hood River, OR

Comment

• Had plans to start forming ribs this weekend, however Aircraft Spruce apparently sold out prior to shipping my 0.025, so its now on back order. Hopefully it arrives next week like they just told me. I have not been doing a great job of logging time and costs for the project so far, so I will spend this weekend getting everything down on paper.

I have not yet cut all of my beater forms, I notice a bunch of people one of each 1/8 or1/4 undersize for better access for forming the radius, is it worthwhile doing this?
                      Steve Nicholson
                      Lafayette, LA

4 Place Scratch build #1377 in progress (Wings)

Comment

Working...
                      X