Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Wicks Hardware Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Aircraft Spruce catalog calls the rivets I mentioned “cherry or equivalent” (both domed and flush, I think). Thanks for clarifying Todd. I would certainly hate to lead anyone astray, as I’m very new at this.

Comment

Try looking for Avdel rivets now owned by stanley.

Comment

Hey Guys -

New Model 5 builder here. I searched for other posts on this, but this seems to be the correct place. I received my Bearhawk Model 5 HW kit from Wicks in late July 2022. I asked Mark several weeks back if he was aware of any changes to the kit I had received and Mark said that yes, there were changes in the turnbuckles. I just got off the phone with Eric who advised me to send back the following items from the kit:

image.png
        Eric said that based on feedback from Colin, these would be replaced with 8 turnbuckles. I have not yet tracked the was/is, but in case there were others affected, I thought getting the news out might be helpful to a few of us. If there are related posts, please post the links.

Good luck on your own builds!

Randy
        Randy Beck
        BH5 QB kit builder starting May, 2022
        Cable Airport, Upland, CA, USA

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Randy, I thought there just two turnbuckles that changed due to input from Collin. The two for the flap cables if I remember correctly. Let me know how these work out so I can update the hardware list if needed. Mark

• rrbeck11
          rrbeck11 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mark - Thanks for chiming in - I was planning to call you today if you hadn't. I found several areas that need to be coordinated between the official plans, Colin's build document and the Wicks list. I will be happy to run this to ground and provide the results to you and Wicks. I will contact you privately. Thanks!

Builders: I would suggest you hold off on any action until it is fully coordinated between Mark, Colin and Wicks. Stay tuned.

Here is a list of the turnbuckles I have been using for the BH-5:

4—AN130-22S (aileron bellcranks/flap
        2—AN135-32S, (elevator bellcrank)
        1—AN140-22S (aileron balance)
        2—AN140-22S (rudder cables)
        1—AN130-16S (trim cable)

A total 0f 10

Comment

• Sir Newton
          Sir Newton commented
          Editing a comment
          Thankx Colin

• rrbeck11
          rrbeck11 commented
          Editing a comment
          All - I exchanged info with Mark and had a call with Collin. To tie this off - if you are ordering the HW kit from Wicks, the default order for turnbuckles does not include the 2 ea AN140-22S for rudder adjustment. As referenced in other posts, Bob does not use the rudder turnbuckles and the kit comes with rudder extension straps that offer limited adjustment. Collin said his prior builds did not use turnbuckles, but his recent Model 5 build does. Up to the builder. Figure out your approach before you call Wicks.

Final note: the turnbuckles Wicks sent are the safety wire type. If you want the clip type, let Eric (Wicks) know.

There is quite a difference between Cherry Max and Cherry “N” rivets both in price and performance. Cherry N’s are
        slightly better in shear and tensile strength than a solid AN aluminum rivet and for the most part what you want for the Bearhawk build. The CCC-32 cited above is a typical example. Steel mandrel and an aluminum body.

Comment

Working...
        X