Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propeller Rocommendations for a 260hp Barrows O-540

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Rocommendations for a 260hp Barrows O-540

G'day all!

Looks like i'm going to take the plunge and upgrade my "200hp" Bearhawk to a 260hp Barrows O-540. What propeller are y'all using? I work the plane pretty hard and am looking for mor "get-up" than go although as always a nice balance would be nice.

Any feedback on propeller matching would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Baloo; 04-23-2016, 11:06 PM.
    Bearhawk 4 Place
    IO-540
    MGL Odyssey Gen 2 EFIS
    ABW 29" Tires
    Appareo ESG ADSB-Out
    Garmin GTR-200 COMM

Western Aircraft Propeller in Troutdale Oregon sets up 84" Hartzell props for experimental guys running O540s. Price sounded good when I talked to them a while back. Might be worth a call to see if it is the same model as the Bearhawkers running the 84" Hartzell.

Good luck with the engine swap!
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Thanks, according to Barrows the expected delivery date for a io540 is in 12months (April 2017)
      Bearhawk 4 Place
      IO-540
      MGL Odyssey Gen 2 EFIS
      ABW 29" Tires
      Appareo ESG ADSB-Out
      Garmin GTR-200 COMM

Comment

I have been happy running an 82" MacCauley on my IO-540. I do like the one-piece hub.
        I still get more thrust than I need at 82", without the added noise. This is the length Bob recommended to me over the phone 4 years ago.
        People regularly comment on how quiet my plane is once I throttle back from full power. Here, noise is a big consideration for aviation access into the backcountry, preserving the "natural quiet" and such.

Of course the MT, Whirl Wind 200G-CS, or Hoffman composite is the dream prop, if money is no object and you don't plan to be too rough on it.

When my blades expire, I will replace them with Whirl Wind blades I think. They use the same one piece hub.
        Last edited by Battson; 04-22-2016, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X