Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kit log and Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit log and Windows 10

Hey All...

Has anyone had success in migrating kit log pro into windows 10? I can do everything except posting my progress online. When I select post to the Internet it hangs up at sending info. I have to go to task manager to kill the program. I've emailed the kitlog support twice and still no reply. Thanks...

I've limited success migrating anything to Windows 10.
    I've had to rebuild my software installs four times now, it seems to be working fine for weeks, then finds a new error and systematically crashes during boot. I have had it up to *here*....

It looks great in almost all regards - but as always the first release is a kind of Beta test on the general public at large. Vista all over again. Swing and a miss.

Comment

i don't have any experience with 10, but I do have some success using compatibility mode in Windows 8 for a couple of legacy programs I use.

Comment

I had the same problem Paul. Ended up switching back to Win 8. If you come across a answer, pls post.
        Thanks too much,
        John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
        BH Plans #1117
        Avipro wings/Scratch
        http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

Comment

Well, I had to go to the internet to find the answer, but I did get it going again. From what I gather Kitlog Pro sends the entire database again to the server, in my case that's just over 180MB of data. It may be because of Windows 10. but I really don't know. The person on the internet just said he left the program alone, even though it wasn't responding. It wasn't responding because it was busy uploading all the info. I started my update last night and went to bed. When I got up this morning and checked, the update was complete and I could see my posts online again. I tried a few edits on my latest posts and posted those and they went through just fine. So, happy camper and it's fixed.

Just FYI, I got these instructions from kitlog support a few months ago and followed them when I finally migrated to Windows 10, but apparently the part of loading the entire litlog database wasn't mentioned:

Hi Paul,

Yes, Kitlog Pro 2.0 works great with Windows 10. The normal post installation steps are still required for the best experience. I've attached them below.

1) Locate your existing Kitlog database file and make a backup copy of it onto a thumb drive or other external device:

c:\Program Files\aeroware\Kitlog Pro v2.0\kitlog.mdb

2) Make sure that you are always logged in as Administrator when you use Kitlog.

3) Go the Kitlog installation folder:

32bit c:\Program Files\aeroware\Kitlog Pro v2.0\kitlogpro.exe
          or
          64bit c:\Program Files (x86)\aeroware\Kitlog Pro v2.0\kitlogpro.exe

a) Right-click on the "kitlogpro.exe" and select Properties.
          b) Select the "Compatibility" tab.
          c) Select "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3".
          d) Select "Run this program as administrator"

4) Windows 7/8/10 Only - Download this file and put it in the c:\Windows folder:

http://www.kitlog.com/dls/winhlp32.exe <== Download file into "c:\Windows" folder

(The default Windows 7/8 installation doesn't have the legacy Windows Help Utility WinHlp32.exe installed. This utility is no longer bundled with Vista and later versions of the Windows OS.)

If this step fails for any reason, just go on to the next step.

5) Turn down User Access Control (UAC):

a) ControlPanels->UserAccounts->ChangeUserAccountControlSettings
          b) Click on the "ChangeUserAccuntControlSettings" hyperlink
          c) Set the control to "Never Notify"

6) Download and run this patch for Kitlog 2.0. Make sure Kitlog is NOT running when you do this.

7) If your Kitlog Log files are missing, copy the backup copy of your kitlog.mdb database file from the thumb drive back to your hard drive:

c:\Program Files\aeroware\Kitlog Pro v2.0\kitlog.mdb

Matt Dralle
          Matronics / Kitlog Pro Support

Technical Support | Kitlog | 581 Jeannie Way | Livermore | CA | 94550
          925-606-1001 V | 925-606-6281 F | support@kitlog.com Email
          http://www.kitlog.com WWW | Aircraft Construction Log Applications

Comment

Just in case nobody here was aware... Matt Dralle, proprietor of KitLog, had a major medical issue several months back. Not sure how far along with recovery he is or if he has a support staff to cover while he is recovering. This was announced on the vansairforce forum awhile back.

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
              alaskabearhawk commented
              Editing a comment
              No, I didn't know. Hope it's nothing serious. I always picked his BOTM for the kitlog site. I thought it was highly unusual for him not to respond. He had just test-flown his RV-8 last time I had an email exchange.
          Working...
          X