Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N Number Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N Number Size

I'm spraying primer on the covered parts, so my mind is wandering to paint colors and details like that. Through the years, I can remember countless discussions about 'legal requirements ' of N numbers. They have to contrast with the base color, they can't be unusual or ornamental and then, there are minimum size requirements. Most folks seem to use 12" numbers. I was also planning on big 12" numbers as well, but now, I'm having second thoughts. A quick read of AC45-2E dated 10-2015 tells me that my EAB, with cruise of less than 180 knots requires numbers with minimum height of 3 inches. Other than border crossings, why should I use 12" numbers? To be clear; unless I misread the circular, there is no right answer here. I'm just trying to scare up some different opinions. Is everyone planning on big numbers? Or, are some of you thinking a bit smaller?
    Just so nobody proposes to revoke my Man-card, I am planning on 31" bushwheels...

Bill

Here's a regulatory reference: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=pt14.1.45
    Scroll down to §45.29 for size details. If you aren't planning to cross borders, then there is no need for the big numbers. If you decide to cross a border later, you can always add on some big vinyl numbers at that time.
    You need the numbers to enter an ADIZ, and while that is likely to happen at a border, it could also in potentially happen near the Washington DC area if you're crazy enough to want to fly there.

Comment

Too many non or anti aircraft folks don't know heights, regs, etc. Someone may think you're doing something wrong (or they don't like it) and if they turn in your N number you'll have to prove your innocence. Don't make it easy for them to get it, use 3". Proto one got it's airworthiness in 1995, that means in 2025 we should be able to qualify without question being a replica of an antique - 2" letters.

Comment

• jaredyates
        jaredyates commented
        Editing a comment
        And paint your airplane yellow with a blue stripe down the side so that you can be dismissed as a crop duster!

...paint your airplane the same color as mine. I'll say it was you flying that day, and you can say it was me.

Comment

Good catch on the "contrast with base color" I'm planning to use 3" numbers and was considering using a gray just a few shades darker than the silver paint, I guess I'll have to rethink that part and go a little darker gray than I was thinking. Also I have heard that to go through Canada to get to Alaska, 3" numbers are ok, but I haven't actually looked into that.
        Last edited by Rollie; 08-08-2016, 09:10 AM.
        Rollie VanDorn
        Findlay, OH
        Patrol Quick Build

Comment

I used 12" numbers on the first plane I built and came to regret it, because it looked like a flying billboard... And then, there's the 'Rebel' in me that kind of likes the idea of small numbers, over the Horizontal stab, that are more stealthy. But that ADIZ thing is staring me in the face. I'm 11 miles from the A-381 GoM ADIZ. Lots of planes, based IN A-381 sporting small numbers, though. Hmmm...
          Seems that it's shaping up to be one of those "judgement calls"...

Bill

Comment

Here are some things I have thought of.

If one were to call their aircraft a Replica that has the "Same external configuration" of a design that is 30 years or more older, It would qualify for 2 inch numbers. They started making Mauls in 1957.

Also, the n-number can be put on the vertical stabilizer in the Vertical or Horizontal configuration.

It may be in ones best interest to use small numbers if there are planning on doing off airport ops. One can always put on temporary 12" numbers for a boarder crossing (even with black electrical tape if thats all I have)

Page 12, table 3 of this advisory circular
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Well, I think the "bigger" #'s look great and I think my low flying, buzzing trains, and the like, days are over, so I'm not as concerned about it. Also with the possibility of hitting a drone increases every day, I think I'll stay where you can't see them big or small. ;-)

Comment

I also think your numbers look great! I'm quickly closing in on the color coat stage, so I need to decide. Actually, I'm leaning to the big numbers, as well.

Bill

Comment

• Flygirl1
                  Flygirl1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea, I remember those pin holes! We used UPOL primer surfacer. Seemed to work well and sanded really well too. Used it on the wing tips also.

• Bdflies
                  Bdflies commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I looked up the U-POL stuff. Did you use their catalyzed primer, in a spray gun, or the aerosol can stuff? For the small stuff, I hate to mix paints and then clean the gun, but I haven't had great luck with rattle can paint, with the exception of self-etching primers. Second, where did you buy it?

• Flygirl1
                  Flygirl1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We bought it at our local paint store and it is the catalyzed. I didn't realize it came in a rattle can. If it isn't too expensive I might give it a try. Just bought a gal. of PPG primer--CACHINE!!! By the time I get this bird in the air, at least my purse won't be a weight factor. ;-)
              Working...
              X