Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Airframe Primer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In all honesty I doubt I'll ever paint a fuselage again but only because now that I've experienced painting a tube frame I'll just have it powder coated next time. I don't want to get into the paint vs powder coat debate, I just wanted to offer full disclosure. [/QUOTE]

Just curious, why wouldn't you paint again?

Bill

Comment

I'm a lousy painter. Even with my best efforts and looking over the airframe a bunch of times there are still spots I wish had more paint on them. Paint is there for corrosion protection and it can't do that without good coverage. I don't know what I could have done different to get better coverage. My dad and I each looked it over between each time we sprayed and after the 6th time spraying top coat we thought we were happy. Now I can point out spots I'm not happy with.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
        Mark Goldberg commented
        Editing a comment
        It helps if your primer is a very different color than your top coat. But painting a fuselage does have its tricks and learning curve. Mark

When I do the Bearhawk fuselage....I'll use Superflight system 7... White epoxy primer and something other than a white top coat.. Good thing about the Superflight epoxy primer...easy to sand off sags and doesn't need a top coat....I can still point out every top coat void on the pacer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X