Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WInter storage and surface rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WInter storage and surface rust

Hey everyone

I moved my project out to my garage over the summer to weld up the engine mount and do some other stuff that I couldn't do in my small shop. Between a trip to Oshkosh, doing up new wheel pants for my RV-8 (after a flat on landing that destroyed one of them), and work travel, (I'm off to Australia for 3 weeks starting next week) I'm not going to be able to get my fuselage sandblasted and primed before winter. My plan was to get it cleaned and primed then hang it in the garage while I work on the wings in the house.

It has been a humid summer here and there is some light surface rust on all of the steel.

My question is this: Can I just leave it as it is, hang it in the garage, and sandblast it next year ? It is ususally fairly dry here in winter with plenty of snow. If I can't leave it, what could I do such that it doesn't get any worse? Rattle can primer?

Thanks in advance

-------------------
    Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Maybe one of those primer products that bond with rust and stop it would be a good idea? If I were in your shoes is just leave it but it's very dry where I live. My fuselage spend several years in a garage WI and it only has light surface rust in a couple spots. Maybe leave it while your in Australia and if you get back reassess the situation.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Any product you put on the steel, will have to come of again when you want to paint it. Just saying.

Comment

You might consider a product called Ospho. From their website [ http://Ospho.Com ] -

"HOW SKYCO OSPHO WORKS

When applied to rusted surfaces, it resists/retards rust in chemical change on drying to a tough, hard surface ready for priming. A paint job will last longer after an application of OSPHO because subsequent paint coating securely attaches itself so that moisture and oxygen normally do not attack the metal. OSPHO is water-thin, can cover a larger area than paint, and goes on easily. It is equally effective for exterior and interior work alike. SKYCO OSPHO: a balanced formula of Phosphoric, Dichromate, Wetting Agents and Extenders . . . compounded exclusively by the Skybryte Company since 1947 ... recommended by paint manufacturers." The MSDS is at this link - http://ospho.com/images/Ospho%20SDS_new.pdf

It is a water based phosphoric acid solution so you should research it yourself to determine it's applicability to your situation. I have used it on auto sheet metal and primered/painted over it. I recently recoated the Patrol tailfeathers I have hanging in my unheated hangar with it. I wipe it on, brush it on, or spray it on with a spray bottle but I don't leave it dripping wet. I always wipe it lightly with a paper towel to remove excess. As long as the treated part stays dry I have left parts for a year and more with no corrosion. For me it has worked well. I have found it at hardware stores, lumber yards, and auto paint supply stores. The last gallon I purchased was just under $25. It goes a long way. Just for your info.
        Last edited by LoNSlo; 09-08-2016, 09:55 PM.
        Murphy Rebel Built/Flown/Sold [Dammit!!]

Comment

I've had my 4-place fuselage in storage for a year in Florida now. I sprayed it with Rustlick 606 and it shows no signs of rust even stored in very humid conditions. To prep it I cleaned off any signs of surface rust and sprayed the entire fuselage heavy. I don't remember now where I bought it from but you can find it on-line.

Wayne Massey - Central Florida
          BH733
          LSA23
          http://www.mykitlog.com/wlmassey

Comment

I wiped my fuselage down with Corrosion X when I got it last October, still looks good stored in humid Florida. Not sure if it will present a challenge to remove before resuming welding and painting as Battson mentioned.....but any of the corrosion products out there should work. I use Fluid Film and CorrosionX heavily on my boat.

Comment

Working...
            X