Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Tim Babcock C-GDBN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Tim Babcock C-GDBN

Hi all

I'm looking to talk to Tim Babcock that built 4pl Bearhawk C-GDBN. Anyone know how to reach him (or is he on the forums?) I'm curious about his yoke control system in his Bearhawk.

Cheers
    -------------------
    Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

I've sent you an email, let me know if you don't get it.

Comment

Got it! Thanks Jared

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

-------------------
      Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
      RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by rv8bldr View Post
        Hi all

I'm looking to talk to Tim Babcock that built 4pl Bearhawk C-GDBN. Anyone know how to reach him (or is he on the forums?) I'm curious about his yoke control system in his Bearhawk.

Cheers
        How did this turn out, did you get a chance to talk to him and your thoughts on the conversion...

Did you find out what plane his conversion was based on.... or salvaged out of.....

sounds like a good good topic for a bear track article...
        Last edited by way_up_north; 09-28-2019, 07:12 AM.

Comment

I'm interested to see the frame supports for the control column. Looks like multiple paths forward there...
          Dave B.
          Plane Grips Co.
          www.planegrips.com

Comment

I'm the owner of C-GDBN here are a few pics
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by K44 View Post
              I'm the owner of C-GDBN here are a few pics
              Oh right on, those are fantastic, thanks!

If possible seeing the lower frame attach would be revealing, but the design is pretty much what I expected. Except it looks like some curved tube at the top, maybe for lateral stability? I could see how it's attached at the bottom driving that design. Thanks again!

Dave B.
              Plane Grips Co.
              www.planegrips.com

Comment

Tim responded to me with this:
                The yoke system I used was out of a piper Aztec. It was the right height and width between the yokes. It took quite a bit of fiddling to get the travel right to time the contact with the elevator stops up and down, along with the yoke stops forward and aft. It's all cable control except for the piper chain system to time the yokes for the Alierons along with cable turnbuckles on each end of the chain. Alierons were a breeze to set up. I went to yokes for easier egress in and out on floats. I didn't use the bell crank on the back of the gear and seat beam. Just used the two pulleys that are in the plans. Fair leads for the cable installed a bit different due to the new angle.
                The panel was raised just a bit at the top about 2 inches the width of the radio stack or trays. Need just a bit more in the middle so just formed a bump to extend the stack up. Made the cover out of aluminum along with the glare shield strip. Made the glare shield by slitting a piece of aluminum fuel line and sliding it on to the glare shield and crimping it carfully to keep it round. Then the covered it with the same material as the dash. Just formed it to go from the door post along the cowl, up and over the bump and over to the other door post then slipped it between the dash or boot cowel and the top of the panel screwed it in place.
                -------------------
                Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
                RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Great info. It looks like the Cherokee column is too tall (among other things) to use as-is anyway so that'll have to be a custom job. I won't be modifying my panel either. The Aztec looks more complicated than the Arrow/Cherokee, I wonder why he went with the more complicated setup? I could see on a scratch build not bothering with a bell crank or tie rod, though having them on the kit already makes this easier.

AZTEC_CC.PNGPA-28R_CC.PNG
                  Dave B.
                  Plane Grips Co.
                  www.planegrips.com

Comment

• JimParker256
                    JimParker256 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sometimes, you just use what is available.
                Working...
                X