Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gremlin Exorcism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gremlin Exorcism

It's been two weeks since my Patrol's first flight, but only a bit over 2 hrs flight time. It's strange how everything works perfectly in the hangar, but some things go funky in flight. While I was definitely in 'sensory overload', on my first flight, I did note that the ailerons were HEAVY! Wasn't too much of an alarm, just noteworthy. The second flight was in a bit more wind. Without going into boring details, the wind that day was creating a roller, from the treeline parallel to my runway. This is a very common condition... nothing unusual. What was unusual, was that the roll corrections were alarmingly difficult, because of the stiff ailerons! I'm thinking unkind thoughts about my Patrol... A quick chat with Donna revealed that her ailerons were light as a Citabria. This told me that I had some investigation to do. (saga condensed here) When I rigged my ailerons, I had them about 1/4" below the flaps and wingtips, figuring that the airloads would even everything up. BIG MISTAKE! Picking the ailerons up, about 3/8" made all the difference in the world! Now, they're light and responsive, at slow speeds and nicely firm when going fast. Now, mine are just a hair high of the wingtips and even with the flaps (I adjusted the flaps up a bit, to match). One of my buddies questioned how that adjustment could change the feel, but I can assure you it changed the plane completely. The rudder is quite powerful and pleasantly sensitive, pitch is responsive but not nervous or twitchy and now roll control is nicely balanced with the pitch. Not too light (which makes for a heavy workload) and not too heavy.
    Something I noticed, fairly quickly, was that my Garmin G3X was doing something a bit unusual. On takeoff, airspeed came up nicely, climbout saw airspeed as expected and altitude responding. Cruise was similarly reflected by the numbers displayed. Power back, to slow a bit and (to my surprise) airspeed displayed zero (0). Hmmm.... this thing really slows down fast! The standby G5 was working perfectly in all regimes. Much head scratching and internet searching revealed nothing. I checked almost everything. Thinking I had a bad ADAHARS unit, I called Garmin. Got a nice gentleman on the phone, who politely listened to my saga. After a significant pause, he suggested (firmly) that I had reversed some pitot/static/AOA lines... How dare he accuse me of such!!! Then, as his words sunk in, it started making sense. Well, you guessed it, I had the pitot and static lines reversed, on the primary ADAHARS. 10 minutes later, the lines were fixed and a quick flight ( with pleasantly light ailerons!) saw the G3X doing all the cool stuff it's supposed to do. How the heck it ever displayed any speed at all, is a mystery to me, but hey... It did.
    With those items sorted out, I was able to make some longer flights. After about .6 hrs at 70%, I noted my oil temp was 235 and RISING. A quick turn back to the home field, accompanied by a power reduction, brought them down to about 233.... CHT's were about 370, for the highest and 350 on the low. Bear in mind that this is a 0 SMOH engine. I didn't put a 'cooling lip' on my lower cowl, but realized that I need one. A quick bit of bending and stretching yielded a nice lip that was quickly attached. ALSO, bit of research directed me to a Lycoming service letter that described a new vernitherm valve, that superseded previous numbers. The letter advised to replace the old unit, with the new one, if high oil temps were encountered. So, Spruce got $330.00 more of my money. The combination of the lip and the new vernitherm has my oil temps about 208 now. Still higher than I'd like (it's not August yet), but not alarming. Supposedly, new overhauls can be expected to run high temps for the first 25 hours. I suspect that I don't have enough cowl exit area and will need to modify that. For the time being, It's good.
    Now, let me assure you that none of these fixes went as quickly as my description might lead you to believe. There IS a reason for the phase 1 flight restrictions and it just takes a while to shake out all those gremlins! But, just as there's satisfaction gleaned from creating a piece of a plane, there's also a bit of a smile when a problem is solved.
    I can say that I like the plane a bit more, every time I fly it! Compared to my Husky, it's downright cavernous. 3" doesn't sound like a lot, but 3" more elbow room is a BIG DEAL in an airplane! I really love the landing gear! Not sure how many landings I've made, but I only bounced one, which is an indication of too much speed (right?). In the bounce, I glanced at the airspeed... 42 mph.. Now, ain't that cool! 42 mph was just a tad TOO FAST... Ya gotta love that!

Keep on building!

Bill

Great update, please keep them coming!

Comment

Bill, Consider yourself in good company with the Gremlins. We have about 27 hrs now and they keep showing up. Lady Dy yelled at me the other day something about CHT’s. She’s done that before and nothing was wrong. But when the red light started flashing and I checked the warning message, it said to check cyl. #4. It said 507 degree’s. Kinda freaked me out and I pulled power, enriched the mixture and did a 180 back to the nearest airport. (which just happen to have a really neat Dehavilland Repead getting ready to leave after fixing a mag., so not a total waste of time.) It appears there is a Gremlin in my #4 cyl CHT wire. It did it again on start up today. The “other” Patrol has one in the #2 EGT read out. I hate those. Is it just a loose wire somewhere or a bad sensor? We’ve also had to send the Alternator back for an exchange and both the radio’s. . The flaps seem to be getting easier. I still haven’t used 4 notches, but if kinda feels like the spring is getting a bit looser, therefore easier to pull. My oil temps are around 195 and that's on a 47 to 50 something degree day. Dennis's is always cooler as are his CHT's. My #2 cyl is ALWAYS 30 degrees hotter than the others and runs at 400 when leaned to 10/11 GPH and 70-75 % power. I LOVE the Dynon and all the information, but is it too much information?? Probably not, just gotta get it all figured out.

Looking at your panel and I can’t find your radio. Is it in the GX3? Also curious as to the final weight of your plane. If you’ve posted it before, I missed it. Almost seems like too personal of a question, but I’m asking anyway. ;-) Glad you have your aileron’s working properly. Amazing how a little adjusting like that can make such a difference. Happy flying!! Donna. PS--It actually fly's easier and lighter than the 7ECA. I could land that better, ( not shorter, just better) still getting used to the flaps and not having to land so flat.

Comment

Well, I hope to have most of my gremlins out, in 40 hrs. But, considering that I caused most of the issues, who knows. I might have buried some pretty deep... I'm actually flying it pretty well. After nearly a thousand hrs in Huskys, that plane was more familiar, but I really do like the Patrol. I'm confident that we'll be great friends.
        Weight, huh? Niner Bravo Kilo is a healthy girl... 1257# with 7 qts in the crankcase. A lightweight, she's not...
        The G3X touch allows remote operation of the comm radio and the transponder. It also has a built in intercomm. Everything is controlled on the main touch screen. I opted for the new GTX45R transponder, that includes ADS/B in and out in one box. Because the whole package talks to itself, I get weather and traffic on the map. All this is very cool and it's amazingly easy to use. But I fully appreciate your comment about too much info. On short final, I find myself glancing at the smaller G5, for a quick airspeed check. I'll get used to the system, but that smaller screen has less clutter.
        I had egt & cht problems too. In the hangar, everything was perfect, indicating ambient temps. When the engine started, #3 & #4 egt and cht blanked out, indicating temps beyond displayed range. I checked almost everything, including swapping probes. Finally, When out of ideas, I swapped grounds at the probes... Problem solved! This gremlin wasn't mine, though. The avionics shop mis-labeled the wires on 2 cyls. Considering the number of wires involved, I think they did a fine job!
        The aileron adjustment surprised me too. That little adjustment completely changed the pilot's experience. The whole story is that I toyed with the adjustment until I got just the feel I like.
        I have to add that Donna and Dennis were more helpful than they know! It's great to be able to bounce ideas off folks in the same phase of this process..

Bill

Comment

• Flygirl1
          Flygirl1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Our planes are 1245/47. Just 2lbs apart with mine being the heaviest and it's in the tail--again, no comments please. So our planes are just about the same considering you have a larger tire. We have 700's and it looks like you have something bigger than that, and of course heavier. Have you tried to download the engine analysis information? I think it is a smart thing to do since it is available. I am going to try and retrieve that today. Just not sure what to do with all the information. Apparently there is tons of it. D.

When rigging the 4 place BH, it is best to rig both ailerons a little above the wingtips and flaps. 3/8" is good. This greatly reduces adverse yaw and generally make it fly better. Not sure on the Patrol as there have not been as many flying. Yet. Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg View Post
          When rigging the 4 place BH, it is best to rig both ailerons a little above the wingtips and flaps. 3/8" is good. This greatly reduces adverse yaw and generally make it fly better. Not sure on the Patrol as there have not been as many flying. Yet. Mark
          I presume this is the trailing edge, and not the whole assembly? Just adjusting the turnbuckles so that it's deflected a smidge in the "up" position?
          Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 04-03-2017, 07:29 AM.
          Christopher Owens
          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Chris In Marshfield View Post

I presume this is the trailing edge, and not the whole assembly? Just adjusting the turnbuckles so that it's deflected a smidge in the "up" position?
            You're right about not moving the whole assembly. Rather, adjusting the trailing edge -a smidge.
            I ended up leaving the turnbuckles alone, to avoid changing the geometry of the bellcranks and control stick. I adjusted the rod end bearings at the aft end of the aileron pushrods. I haven't made covers for the hinge pockets yet, so the process takes about 10 minutes, to adjust both sides.

Bill
            Last edited by Bdflies; 04-03-2017, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
              Mark Goldberg commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. Doing the adjustment with the rod end bearings of the aileron pushrod. I would be interested in hearing you guys impressions after you do this on your Patrol & LSA as to any perceived difference. Mark

Ah yes. Thanks for that. Forgot about the pushrods. I had a different push/pull system on the brain.
            Christopher Owens
            Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
            Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
            Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I won't be so bold as to suggest that no more 'gremlins' will ever emerge, but I can say that I've had no operational problems in over 15 hours and my last avionics question was successfully dealt with - yesterday.
              From the beginning, I've had 'air to air' traffic and uplinked weather displayed on my G3X, but no TIS-B uplinked traffic. Discussions with Garmin, at Oshkosh, left me a bit puzzled because I was given the impression that if it got weather it had to get traffic. Well, mine didn't. It seems I wasn't alone, because shortly after Oshkosh, I got notice of a software update - to solve traffic display issues, among other things... After the update, still no TIS-B traffic. Following many email and picture exchanges, the Garmin guy suggested a RS-232 port config change. Voila!! Yesterday (Friday) afternoon, about 6:00 pm, I took off for a test flight. I was pleasantly surprised to see the TIS-B symbol lit up and shocked to see all the aircraft around me!! I might need to turn that thing off!! Not really, just kidding. I always knew Friday afternoons were busy, with all the business planes going home, but seeing all the traffic around me was humbling. I usually monitor the arrival/departure frequency in my sector, to be aware, but this brings awareness to a whole new level! Very cool actually!
              Minutes ago, I got an FAA ADS-B performance report with no exceptions. Great news!
              Oh yeah, one more thing; At 10:43 local time, the total time display clicked over to 40.0 hrs! I'm FREE!

Now quit playing on your computer and go work on your Bearhawk! It's worth every minute!

Bill

Comment

Your FREE--Great news!! Good luck in the Gremlin department too!!

I'm seriously considering a "Gremlin exorcism" or at least maybe a "blessing of the planes"! My dynon radio just up and quits working, as in shuts right down. I need to do some more investigating though because I'm not 100% sure if it's a power issue or a radio issue or even possibly a switch issue, just that it is an issue that needs to be figured out. Also it's one of those intermittent issues which are the worst kind. Dennis' radio would not receive or transmit more than a mile or two. That we found out to be the antenna cable, even though it checked out OK, a different one worked fine.

As far as Dennis and I getting off the computer, staying inside about the safest thing to do right now. The smoke is so thick I cannot see the trees next door. Being outside is not a very healthy thing to do without some sort of mask on. ;-( Actually the smoke is so thick I could not say for sure if it's blown in or from a very close fire.

Comment

Donna, your Dynasty issue sounds an awful lot like a Garmin issue I had. My G3X would be perfectly fine, doing all its magic stuff and then go absolutely black! As great as it is, to have all this information in one neatly organized space, it really sucks when it turns to a black screen... Then it would boot up again - work great for a while- then go black! I confess that I made more than 1 landing with the G5 backup only. (which is still more information than I've ever had in one hole in a panel!). My problem was the power wire (in the store bought harness) that was connected to the pin in the plug- by 2 or 3 strands of the wire. I didn't know about the wire defiency, but decided to run a whole new power wire to the plug. When I extracted the original power wire, from the sub-D connector, the pin fell off... Trimming the original wire, stripping it carefully and replacing the pin - fixed it! Never saw the black screen of death again!
                  If you asked for my opinion, which you didn't, I'd run a new power wire to the radio. I'd also suggest staying inside till the smoke and fires diminish!
                  I'm excited about the freedom. I'm excited about bringing passengers. I'm still exploring the performance envelope of the plane and I'm excited about that too!

Bill

Comment

• Flygirl1
                    Flygirl1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Your opinion is ALWAYS welcome. Actually it's why I posted the problem. If not you, maybe somebody else had some thoughts. We wiggled every wire available to make it happen and couldn't so we switched out the switch. Haven't been able to fly yet to test it.

Another great milestone to be able to take a passenger. ( I expect "The Blond" will be your first??? ) I took Dennis and he took me. ;-) We've yet to fly each others airplane, but we will!!

One thing to keep in mind is to not forget to put the necessary statement of phase 1 testing in your log book:

“I certify that the prescribed flight test hours have been completed and the aircraft is controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and throughout all maneuvers to be executed, has no hazardous operating characteristics or design features, and is safe for operation. The following aircraft operating data has been demonstrated during the flight testing: speeds Vso ______, Vx ______, and Vy ______, and the weight ______ and CG location ______ at which they were obtained.”

signed____________________________________________ _______________ Date____________________________________

• Bdflies
                    Bdflies commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for saving the time to look up that entry! I was going to do that tomorrow, right before notifying the insurance company that they can bill me for the first year's premium.
                    You're right; The Blonde will be first!

I wiggled and jiggled and tugged wires too. My problem was at the pin inside the connector plug. Pulling the wire outside the plug wouldn't have ever affected it, because of the strain relief. Mine would power up and work for about 10 minutes, or so. Then it would go dark. I surmised that the few strands of wire weren't enough to sustain the load and would heat up, increasing their resistance-getting hotter, and so on - until the voltage dropped below the lower threshold. At that point it shut down, allowing the wire to cool, which let the unit turn on - heating the wire again.... On - off - on - off........ Gremlins I tell you! Carefully crimping a new pin did the trick.

Bill
                Working...
                X