Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FLIGHT REPORT-Patrol N240BP/241BP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLIGHT REPORT-Patrol N240BP/241BP

We are working on hour #33 and the Gremlins keep coming, although small ones. Little by little we are working them out. I have a bad connection in #4 CHT that was verified this morning when I turned on the Skyview. The thing went wacky up and down the degree scale from 100 to 500. We could wiggle wires and make it happen one second and do the same thing the next and nothing. If it keeps it up we’ll redo those wires. Dennis has some radio issues, but that might be the headset.

Still getting used to the Skyview electronic display and learning what it can do more and more every flight. Amazing piece of equipment. My last two flights it seemed the prop gov was acting a little erratic. I’ll keep an eye on it. Both of us are getting slowly used to landing these planes as well as we landed the ones we had. (Pacer/Citabria ) It’s not that hard, just not what we are used too. So far the plane has been very patient with our landings. It’s waiting for us to “get it”. ( AND WE WILL )

One thing we did was fabricate landing gear fairings out of fiberglass for flexibility. We attached them to the landing gear with nut plates on the boot cowl on the outside and nut plates in the upper flange of the landing gear on the inside. This allows the fairing to be tight to the plane on both sides in flight. Works great!! ( Have photo's of this in another post, tips / techniques )

As per Whirlwind suggestion, we had the props balanced. Actually they suggested it done before first flight, but our prop guy said wait a while. Mine was out half as much as Dennis’, but neither of us could tell anything had been done. One thing we would suggest is setting the spinner a little high on the cowling to avoid having to add washers to the lower engine mounts down the road. (What we are doing the next two days while it rains) Or rather setting the cowling a little low.

We have the Van's engines baffle kit and are lowering the #2 cyl. baffle plate. That cyl in both planes is running hotter by 30 degrees. ( A lot of hanger talk on why that cyl is hotter going on here. ) Our oil cooler is on the fire wall and keeping temps in the normal range so far. WX is still cool though. N240-170's and N241-180's.

To sum it all up, most all of the Gremlins are coming from add ons and not the plane itself. This plane flys just like we were told it would. Getting all the good speeds in cruise, 140 plus @ 75% power and we are consistently landing way shorter than we have in the “other” planes. I would guess within 150 ( once ) to 400 feet and everything in between. All a matter of pilot skill, the plane will do it no problem. The only thing I found bad, and I use that term lightly, is you need to be careful dropping down from altitude. It can and will pick up speed very quickly.

Much to my delight, every where we go, they are getting attention. People are meeting us on the ramp and wanting to know what they are and to complement us on a job well done. A few have waited for our return just to show the wife our planes. Future pilots or builders?? We’ve been told they have a sound of their own and they know who it is when we take off. What I know is I can’t wait for the next WX appropriate day to go fly!!!
    Last edited by Flygirl1; 04-07-2017, 10:39 AM.

I remember seeing your post about your gear leg fairings, but now I cannot find it. Can someone who found it post a link? Thanks!

PS - Glad your Gremlin-slaying operations are going well. Keep after 'em!
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl1 View Post
      We could wiggle wires and make it happen one second and do the same thing the next and nothing. If it keeps it up we’ll redo those wires.
      I would redo those sooner than later!

Jim, this it? https://bearhawkforums.com/forum/too...-gear-fairings

Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

• Flygirl1
        Flygirl1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Mark, we are very close to the 40 hr, out of the sandbox time. ;-) We would love to see how your project is coming along also!! We'll let you know when we can get up your way!! D-n-D

• Chewie
        Chewie commented
        Editing a comment
        That was fast! We were brainstorming about driving down there, apparently there's a Denver Mattress along the way. That should help convince the wife. Otherwise it would be great to see some Patrols up here so these cub crafters nuts can drool over a real airplane.

• Flygirl1
        Flygirl1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Mark as always you are welcome here anytime. Looking at the WX, it could be a while just getting those few hours. ;-) D.

Hi Donna,
      Would you be si kind as to post a picture of your lower cowl, showing the air exit area? I'm sure that I am a bit shy on the exit opening. I, too, used the Vans baffle kit and my CHT's are great. I also mounted the oil cooler on the firewall. I'm seeing ~205 right now, with OAT at 75. I need to get that down a bit, before summer.
      Went up yesterday and did a stall series, to calibrate the AOA system. With slow speed decay, mine exhibits a noticeable buffet in all configurations. No wing drop noted. Happily flies out with just a release of back pressure. So far, 9BK seems quite benign and predictable, but we're still getting to know each other!

Bill

Comment

• Flygirl1
        Flygirl1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I will. there is something seriously wrong with my memory stick, or you’d have it already. Our DAR told us if we were having trouble with oil temps to use a Champion oil filter instead of the Tempest. How large is the air opening to the oil cooler in your baffle? Ours is 3 inches and on the left side. My Citabria oil was constantly in the 215—235 range and at times on cross country’s I would land because it was reaching red line. That engine went beyond TBO by 200 hrs and as far as I know is still going strong. Oil consumption at time of sale was at 20 hour per quart ( I'm gona miss that, oil is expensive!) and all cyl were at or close to 80/80. Maybe hot oil is not such a bad thing?? Boils the water out. ;-) We have not calibrated the AOA yet. Somewhere I read it might be helpful to have another set of eyes on board and we are just a few hours away from that, so i'll wait. I do not recall any buffeting, but just a gentle nose drop and a slight turn to the right, with flaps out. Donna

Bill, let me know if you need a different photo than what is here. I should have taken measurements, but I didn't think of it till now, but I will if you want. Do you have an area above the cooler to distribute the air? If your CHT's are OK, We're surprised your oil temp is high. I have had temps at 191 on a 60 degree day, so it might be I'll have 200 and up when things start to warm up around here. For some reason Dennis has yet to reach 180 and as far as I can see they are built the same. D.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Thanks for those pics! I think my opening is bigger, though.... I was expecting something different, but ours are amazingly similar. Your lip is bigger. I have the same 3" duct, at the same location. I'm using Van's oil cooler adapter, which creates a bit of a plenum above the cooler. I'm not at all concerned about oil temps now and if this was August, I wouldn't give it a thought. I just want to stay ahead of the issues that I can. I'm running a Champion filter... I think I'll end up installing louvers.
        This afternoon, cruising along with the autopilot engaged, marveling at the fine airplane I was flying, a gremlin jumped out and bit me! The G3X screen went black! Then it booted up again. The G5 stayed live the whole time, so there was never a moment of concern, just wonderment. Some investigation is in order. Well, like I say, there is a reason for the phase 1 restrictions.

Thanks again for the pics!

Bill

Comment

I ended up getting rid of the Dynon crimp-on connectors for the EGT and used these:

Omega makes a similar product for the CHT thermocouples.

Why would a Champion oil filter help with oil cooling more than a Tempest?

Comment

• Flygirl1
            Flygirl1 commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the look of those!! Not sure on the filter cooling , just what the guy said and he has a ton of experience. But I will find out. There must be a reason better than they cost more. ;-) Donna

• Flygirl1
            Flygirl1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Jared, couldn't find out as much as I hoped I would on the oil cooling. The thought is the Champion allows more oil flow than the Tempest. This info I believe is based on a bunch of RV pilots have reported that it works. Also wondering what prompted your changing out the connectors--having a problem or just liked them better?? D.
        Working...
        X