Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric powered BH ultralight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.rotexelectric.eu/portfoli...portfolio-big/

Comment

I have a large renewable energy system, grid tied, and have not payed a power bill other then the monthly hookup fee (5 bucks) in 13 years. On an annual basis I produce 130% of my needs, so I always run a surplus. Before that I was off grid for 28 years. I'm also a former hang glider and ultralight pilot, and have a 9K ridge ridge right behind my house that faces the prevailing summer winds. I should be the poster child for a eplane. I will stick with my Rotax for the forseeable future, especially with premium mogas at $2.49 a gallon like right now. There is nothing like good old gasoline for energy density. While there are several e birds out there right now that would enable me to launch and then ridge soar to my hearts content, I've been there and done that, polishing a ridge gets old, I much prefer actually going somewhere, without the constraints of having to stay in the lift band. I like my 8 hour duration (with reserves) I have in my Rotax powered Rans S-7. BUT, as soon as gas hits, say 6 to 10 bucks per gallon, it'll be game on for a eplane, but we are not quite there yet. I also have 3 ebikes and am quite conversant with current battery tech, and amazing as it is, for an aircraft it's still pretty limited other then for local flying, real local.

I also drive a plug in Prius, and I'd have to say that a hybrid airplane would be practical way before a pure electric one. As far as using a windmilling prop to regen power? That's a joke, not if you want to stay up anyway, way too much drag, but yeah, in a hybrid, in a long descent, it'd be great. I love driving down the 1200' vertical grade I live on, in the Prius, gaining 3-5 miles in the process and not touching the brakes. I'd love to have the drive train of the Prius in my plane, but that also isn't quite here yet.
      Last edited by Cguy; 04-01-2020, 09:47 PM.

Comment

This's from a local buddy of mine in a silent 2 electro. Who says electric limits you to ridge flying?

Mark
        Scratch building Patrol #275
        Hood River, OR

Comment

Anyone have an update on this build?

Comment

Hah, its on my to do list. I have spent my career in the controls area and probably would be willing to help on this.

Comment

Working...
            X