Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with Logging In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Logging In

It seems we have just recently started to have trouble with folks being able to log in to the forum software. It doesn't give any error messages, it just acts like you still aren't logged in. We're troubleshooting and will hopefully have improvement soon.

I experienced that a few days ago. Switched from HTTP to HTTPS and all was well. Perhaps it was cookie related as SSL and regular HTTP sessions are treated separately, so their cookies are probably also managed that way as well. Just a hunch. If an Incognito/Private Browsing session in your browser works where others will not, might be that a cookie clearing is in order?
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I think it is related to those things for sure. My first thought was that it was a local cookie problem for the impacted user, but after troubleshooting from my end it looks like no new logins are going through, even in incognito mode. Across platforms and browsers, if it is cookie related, then it must be related to the way VB is setting the cookies. There are a few threads on the VB support forums from folks with similar problems, but frustratingly, none are resolved. I did a version update several days ago, but it seems that the problem would have turned up sooner if it started then. There is all sorts of redirecting machinery that happens during the login process, and it seems that one of those moving parts has stopped working for some reason.

Comment

I cleared the cache on my phone and now can't log in there. . Tapatalk is working, though, so that's good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Christopher Owens

Comment

It seems from here that the issue is cleared up. If anyone has any trouble logging in after today, please let me know.

Comment

Good to go now. Thanks!
            Christopher Owens

Comment

The login issue may be fixed, but I'm still getting "new message" notifications on stuff I've already read. Just got three of them, in fact.
              Jim Parker
              Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
              RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Any chance there are comments made on a thread? That's where things seem a little different here than other places.
                Christopher Owens

Comment

I see all of those, but I don't think that's it... like just now, every post from 4/22 and 4/23 is showing as "unread" again.
                  Jim Parker

Comment

I'd try logging out and then back in again.

Another possibility is you have personal messages or similar pending. Go to the message page and look in left jab to see what kind of messages are pending. There will be a number beside the message type. Some messages types you have to manually dismiss.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else you could try.
                    . 2017-04-24_14-19-04.jpg
                    Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 04-24-2017, 02:28 PM.
                    Christopher Owens

Comment

OK - now that is really weird... I tried to logout (Click my name, then the "logout" item on the pull-down menu), and it immediately returned me to the previous state. I'm still logged in. Funny - a couple of days ago no one could log in, and now I can't log OUT. Oh well. I'm in here all the time anyway...

PS - I clear all my "unread messages" every time I'm in the system by either reading them, or by clicking the "Dismiss" button. But my "PIREP" from earlier today was that for the last few days, all the previously read messages were showing back up as "unread", even though I could find no new posts within the threads, nor any fresh edits. I just cleared all my "unread" items again, so I'll close down and see if it happens again, or only when it crosses a date boundary (midnight).
                      Jim Parker

Comment

Crazy stuff, man
                        Christopher Owens

Comment

Well, it seems to be working "normally" now. I'm not getting "old" items as new any longer, at least... (Cue "Twilight Zone" music...)
                          Jim Parker

Comment

I loged in and it did not appear that I was, on the top right corner, but it showed my avatar on who was on line. Since there was not any indication in the top corner, I couldn't log out. I have noticed if I check the keep me logged in box, the top would show me logged in. As long as I do that it appears to work just fine. D.

Comment

Working...
                            X