Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you're not around to supervise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you're not around to supervise...

Started digging out the garage yesterday, and found my spars... OMG...

Yep, that's them laying on the floor along with my form boards and stuff. My heart sank when I saw them there with stuff on top of them. I carefully fished them out and got them stood up out of the way of everything. They're in fine shape, thankfully.

The movers who packed up my shop were very conscientious and aware of the fact that these were airplane parts. They did a fantastic job of wrapping and protecting everything going into the truck and in transit.

Sadly, I wasn't at the destination ends when they arrived, as I was cleaning up the old house. And there was a different crew unloading that didn't know what they were moving. So my advice: if you've got a moving company moving your airplane, do your best to make sure you're on the receiving end to capture your stuff coming off the truck!
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Chris, I understand your heart sink at first site. Been there/Done that when I had to cut my fuselage out of the Blackberry's. Hopefully they didn't treat the rest of your things as poorly. D.

Comment

They actually did a great job moving things. This was the only thing that wasn't securely packed. There's not really a box sized for a 16-foot spar :-)

I'm just happy that there weren't any problems. Although I still haven't yet found the fence for my table saw. How the heck do you lose that? I'm sure it's in a box somewhere. But why not just leave the dumb thing attached?
      Christopher Owens

Comment

Well, after all, it's just a bunch of metal stuff.. How can you hurt a piece of metal?

Could be be that someone needed the saw fence.

Hurry up there! I'm looking forward to seeing the "Shop raising party".

Glad nothing was damaged.

Bill

Comment

First step to digging out of a move is the actual digging out part. Great googly moogly, Step 1: Get it all out there:

All that crap was in there?

Step 2: Now that you have a clean slate, figure out where you're gonna put stuff:

As was once said in "Jaws", "We're gonna need a bigger boat."

Thankfully I've got 9-foot ceilings in the garage, so I can take advantage of 8-foot racks. Still have a lot of boxes to sort through. I have a lot of tools unaccounted for. But given the weight of some of the boxes I've moved, I have a pretty good idea where they are.

Onward! It's going to be a long road.
          Christopher Owens

Comment

Good luck, Chris!

I got tired just looking at that picture! We went through much the same thing when we moved, even though we had a much larger shop area...

When we built the new house, I also built a huge garage, with parking for three cars, plus a 30x30 shop area, and we still managed to fill completely on move-in. And that was even before I got the Patrol kit from Mark G... I went through exactly what you're doing, except that I also had my utility trailer out there, and ruthlessly culled "stuff we've never used" onto that trailer for hauling to the local dump. We also went through all the stuff the kids had left with us to store because they might want it someday... We decided that "someday" was "today", and for about 90% of it, they decided they really didn't want it bad enough to keep it at their houses (even with free delivery). So a lot of that stuff went to the dump as well. Interior space was still tight enough (leaving room to actually work on the Patrol) that one of the older cars is sitting outside so the wing kit can be inside, but it is much better now...
            Jim Parker
            Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
            RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I'm going to have to wait until next year to get a new garage built, but I'm hoping it will be similarly sized to yours. Until then, just going to have to "think tiny"!
              Christopher Owens

Comment

• jaredyates
                jaredyates commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm in the market for a 1:400 scale Bearhawk to line up with my 1:400 scale airline models, in case you get that tiny.

• Chris In Milwaukee
                Chris In Milwaukee commented
                Editing a comment
                Bearhawk Super Junior
            Working...
            X