Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garmin G3X issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin G3X issues

I had a small issue that I thought I would share. I had my panel built up at an avionics shop and I installed it. While the fuselage was in my garage I hooked up all the engine sensors and turned on the battery and everything worked like it should, pressures showing low or 0 and temps showing ambient temps. Radios were off so it just had red X's for those along with the OAT, which is wing mounted and the wings weren't on yet. After I moved the plane to the airport and mounted the wings, I turned on the battery and everything was showing red X's, even the attitude was just a big red X. I didn't see how it could have got messed up during the trailer ride to the airport, the ride was definitely not as rough as landing off airport. I checked all the connections to see what might have come loose, didn't find anything. Then this morning I spoke to Mark and mentioned it to him and he told me that he had a similar problem where none of his stuff would work until the OAT probe was connected. That led me to go out and disconnect the wing wiring harnesses (that I had connected when I put the wings on) and check it again. Now everything works again, like it did in my garage. I'm guessing it has to do with the OAT probe not being mounted/grounded yet and once that was connected to the harness, the bad signal from it messed up everything else. I'm confident that once everything is mounted properly and connected it will work.
    Just wanted to share in case anyone else runs into a similar issue. I was afraid I had broken something and was going to spend some more time troubleshooting before calling Garmin to see what they thought it might be.

Thanks Mark for putting me on the right track. Again.
    Rollie VanDorn
    Findlay, OH
    Patrol Quick Build

That's good to know, Rollie. Thanks. I'm building a 4 place BH and have the G3X. Just now getting ready to install OAT. Magnetometer is installed. Panel is done. Had ACS make up the harnesses.
    Larry Driver
    Bearhawk 4-Place Quickbuild N22LD
    Mogollon Airpark, Overgaard AZ

Comment

Larry, are you going 'all Garmin' or are you integrating other products? Mine is all Garmin, not because of any snobbery, but because it made for a compact, full featured installation. I had some G600 experience and am absolutely floored at the capabilities of the G3X! The configuration process can be challenging, but you're gonna love it!

Bill

Comment

• Bcone1381
        Bcone1381 commented
        Editing a comment
        I want pictures

I'm all Garmin G3X. Definitely not an "avionics snob" - lots of good products out there. I went with the remote transponder but since I'm only installing one comm initially, I went with a GTR200 in the panel. If I add a second, it will be remote. I liked the idea of having one panel-mount comm in the event I had a G3X display failure. I'm also installing the GDL39R and GPS 20A for ADS-B in/out. Using the Garmin servos for pitch and roll.

I currently have experience flying the G1000 in a couple Turbo 182s and find that the operations are almost identical with the exception of touch screen vs. actual buttons, knobs and soft keys. It's nice that the knowledge carries over.
      Larry Driver
      Bearhawk 4-Place Quickbuild N22LD
      Mogollon Airpark, Overgaard AZ

Comment

Hello I have some questions for the forum to see if anyone else has installed the G3X w/ Autopilot.

I have removed the old avionics in my customers Bearhawk and will be installing a GSX, GTN650, GTX345, and Garmin GSA 25 servos (3 Axis). I will be installing the roll servo with a capstan in the left wing inboard to the bell crank on the carry through cable. I'm having trouble getting bridal cable clamps if someone has any idea how to locate them would be great. I'm working Garmin to come up with the clamps but its like pulling teeth. The pitch servo will also be a capstan install behind the baggage wall. As far as the yaw damper I ordered the RV-10 yaw damper assy. to hopefully integrate it to work with the Bearhawk. I'm hoping to see if anyone has installed a Garmin autopilot and is willing to share any knowledge with me. Thnks!

N152GH left wing access hole.jpgGSA 25 roll mount.jpgGSA 25 roll mount intrior wing.jpg

Travis
        Alpine Aviation
        California

Comment

• Bdflies
          Bdflies commented
          Editing a comment
          Travis, I'd be happy to give you some help if it were a Patrol, but the 4 place is a different animal.

Bill

Apparently a lot easier to install while building. I used the standard servos with push rods, attached to the right wing bellcrank for roll and attached to the elevator bellcrank for pitch. I made provision for a yaw servo with a capstain behind the firewall if I decide I need one, hoping I don't. I am surprised you are having trouble getting parts from Garmin, sorry I can't offer much help.

Comment

I am finding that Dynon (Garmin probably as well) is quick to respond on technical issues if the equipment was purchased through an approved avionics shop and/or panel builder authorized retailer vs. having purchased the components directly as an individual. Joe Bearhawk Builder is less likely to get good support if he buys the equipment himself from the manufacturer. But JBB will get great service if he bought from a retailer.
          Rob Caldwell
          Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
          EAA Chapter 309
          Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
          YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
          1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Working...
          X