Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Continental IO-360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continental IO-360

Wanted to offer some information on my 4place kit built Bearhawk. It has a Continental IO-360 with a constant speed Hartzell. It was built here in Brazil and i purchased it about a year ago. Since then I've flown about 120 hours. It's hangared at a 350 meter grass strip with a fence on one end and high-line wires at the other end. Taking off with a tailwind (because of the high-line wires) and here in the Amazon where it is 90-110 degrees F every day, i've limited myself to only one passenger. Any other baggage/passengers I pick up at another strip.

At 2500 feet, 2500 RPM, 25MP, TAS is 123 mph and burning 37 Litters / hour (9.7 gallons)
    At 6500 feet, 2400 RPM, 22.5MP, TAS is 118 mph and burning 34.5 Litters (9.1 gallons).
    At 5500 feet, 2300 RPM, 23.5MP, TAS is 115 mph and burning 32 Litters / hour (8.5 gallons).

Empty weight when we bought it was 1507 pounds. I took out pretty much all the interior "fluff", added a Dynon (removed alot of the instruments), switched to an EarthX battery and got it down to 1471 pounds.

I find that when I am heavy and near aft CG (still in the envelope but say 21.5"), it is really unstable in flight. If i let go of the stick for just a couple of seconds, it will start to descend or ascend and not recover. If i'm loaded forward, I can fly hands off for hours. I've had a couple flights where i've flown 6.5 hours in one day. It's tiring, so i'm looking at getting an autopilot- just for holding atltitude.

Thanks for sharing that info - it's useful to have this stuff available on here. I believe your engine would be the 210hp model (at 2700 rpm)?

Comment

• MattS
      MattS commented
      Editing a comment
      That's correct.

Thanks for sharing your numbers Matt. It will be interesting to compare mine with a Mac prop when I finally get flying.

210hp at 2800rpm or 195hp at 2600rpm.
    Last edited by whee; 10-10-2017, 09:04 AM.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Your findings pretty much parallel mine with a 180 lyc

Comment

Working...
      X