Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seat Support Fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Support Fabric

I have decided to use heavy weight fabric to cover the rear seat frame in my Patrol. An old newsletter states that I should use two layers on the seat bottom and one layer on the seat back. A question for those who have gone this route. Are the two layers on the bottom finished (ironed, and weave filled) separately or only the top layer? Or does the weave need to be filled at all? Obviously, I know very little about fabric in general and even less about seat frame covering. Thanks

Ivan Haecker QB #150

I used one layer of medium fabric with polytac only. So far so good.

Comment

I used one layer on the back and another system on the bottom. I used the seat back as an opportunity to test the Stewart system. I upholstered over this. So far I have no problems.

Comment

I used heavy fabric on my seat backs and bottoms with Stewarts glue. Only been used to sit on and make airplane noises in the garage but I think I'll be happy. I only shrink it to 250F so the fabric would have a little give. I did a test frame and jumped on the fabric till it bent the frame. I figure if I crash hard enough to blow out the fabric I'm not sure it will matter...

My upholstery will slip over the seat back and velcro to the bottoms. Complete utility style.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

In searching the forums, I don't see any documentation on using fabric for the rear seat webbing (back and bottom). It seems doable, but I worry about the bottom fabric sagging without a support in the middle and causing the passengers to lean into each other.

How did you make your rear seat support/webbing?

Comment

Hey Nick;

This may not help.....but the Patrol rear seat is documented in Beartracks Apr 2010 and duplicated in an Engineering Change Notice April 2010. http://bearhawksafety.com/Patrol/changeapr10b.html

The drawing says "Cover seat bottom and back with 3.7 oz. Airplane Cloth Tight between 1 x .035, and T10 ( the three support tubes that runs across the fuselage... under the leg, at the lower back and the upper back) and loose between the T7 side tubes.

I ran across this after I finished covering my rear seat, I covered the bottom on all four sides.....it is tight between the T7 tubes. I now believe that the T7 side tube may deform and give way if too much weight is applied to the fabric seat bottom cover. I think Bob designed it to be supported by the front, back and side tubes only.

Could it be that this is how the rear seat of the four place might be intended to be applied?

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 7.40.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 7.45.31 AM.png
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
            X