Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Flight from grass strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Flight from grass strip

It looks like I may have to settle for a first flight from a grass strip, as there is no availability of a hangar at one of the airports with asphalt. Looking for advise from those who may have done this before.

Thanks
    Hari

Grass would be my preference for sure. You'll find ground handling to be much more forgiving when the wheels can slide a little. Think about options for landing on the departure path in the event of an engine failure. Also, the EAA has some great resources about first flight planning, including webinars and videos. Let me know if you have any trouble finding them.

Comment

Thanks Jared, what would you recommend a minimum acceptable runway length?

Comment

I agree with Jared and would prefer to fly off grass. Minimum length will greatly depend on your experience and what your comfortable with along with the conditions surrounding the airport.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

As wise whee says, the runway length is just one factor that will depend on the others. For example, our 2000 foot home field was pretty narrow, and there were no alternate landing sites until reaching pattern altitude. If it was 7000 feet long and surrounded by trees, then I would have considered using it. Similarly, a 1500x200 strip surrounded by a sod farm would be more desirable than our home airport, even at 3/4 the length. It's hard to say. What do you have available?

Comment

I'm assuming you did all your training from asphalt?? I guess it's what we get used too!! I was tailwheel raised on grass and my advice is to watch your breaking, you might be sliding and not realize it. Also as others have said, length. Depending on your engine take off should not be a problem there unless the grass is not mowed. Landings are generally shorter due to drag, unless it's not mowed than be careful of going over on your nose. Other than that lucky you!!! Grass is WAY more forgiving, a lot easier on your tires and the best place ever to practice crosswinds!!!! If your lucky enough to live in an area that gets snow be sure an try some landings in about an inch or two of the fluffy white stuff. NOBODY makes a bad landing in a little bit of fluffy snow. It's like landing on clouds, or would be if you could. ;-) Speaking of clouds--your going to be in them for a few days in more ways than one!! CONGRATS on your first flight when you do it!!!
            Last edited by Flygirl1; 10-26-2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Hari,
              I avoid asphalt or concrete at all costs! After a few circuits on grass, you'll understand. Any of the Bearhawks should operate from 2,000' comfortably. For the first couple of flights, you'll probably want to have alternate landing options. If you're confident in your fuel system and have developed a degree of comfort in your engine, then the idea of an easy alternate landing site may not be as important. Fuel flow issues are the problems most likely to cause concern.
              Check everything and check it again. Then, enjoy the first flight! Don't let the grass worry you.

Bill

Comment

Hari, just came to mind--the best thing to do if your concerned about the grass is to grab an instructor and try it out in a different plane. Might not be yours, but at least you'll have some experience of the view and whats out there in case of an emergency.

Comment

I learned on grass--- one day we made a trip over to the "big" 8000x250 concrete....... wow- I was kind of lost as to where to land..... could have landed sideways..... :-)
                  The tires seemed to be "stickey" compared to grass (not knowing any different up till them)
                  DEFINATELY grass is nicer ! as long as its mowed so you can see whats in it. Once the airport owner didnt mow the grass (about 14 inches high) and the mains hit
                  a 1/2 concrete block left in the grass. Didnt hurt anything ---- (his plane - his grass---) If it had hit the nose gear it might have totaled the firewall ! he was kind of a fly-by-night
                  so I went elsewhere later when he didnt want to maintain the planes properly. Once on that one - the throttle cable seised- had to do a dead sticker. he gave me attitude
                  when returned to the office. I resisted telling him where to insert his airplane. I later got my revenge. He reluctantly took the other instructors student up for dual
                  (under protest for some reason) ---- while in the practice area the ignition key mechanism failed and shut off the engine and he had to land in a farmers field and then take the wings off
                  and truck it out. Several students had been complaining that there was something up with the ign. for the previous 6 months---- but he just always said "it always works for me-"
                  and never had the mechanic even look at it . Some of the skins on that thing were corroded half through---- he never did fix it. Sandwitch artist I guess.

I degress---- Grass is great--- that was the best part of the place !
                  T

Comment

Working...
                  X