Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kit vs Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bdflies nailed it on the head. I have scratch built almost everything I have ever built. They were all "mine". But now almost 55, time seems precious, so I am going to build a QB kit, quickly. And then I am going to buy a bunch of aluminum sheet and steel tubing, and do what I really love doing. And I will have a flying bush plane to give me a break from the years it will take me to scratch build.

Good luck with your choice. See you on a sand bar somewhere, someday.

Comment

Todd, it sounds like you are leaning toward a kit already, but for posterity sake I thought I would throw out another data point. I'm 7 years into a mostly scratch built project and am still over a year from reaching the point where kit builders start.

When deciding between kit vs plans, I would recommend you consider this question: would you take on a 5 - 10 year project, then turn around and sell it the day after it's first flight? If so, you enjoy building enough to build from scratch. If not, you are emotionally connected to your end product, and have placed a lot of hope in it. There is an ancient saying "hope deferred makes the heart sick". Nothing deferrs hope longer than scratch building! I should have found a second job and saved for a kit.

Starting a couple years back, I began regretting my decision to scratch build and started buying parts whenever I could, and Mark Goldberg sold me many parts, including some that weren't listed on the website. I also bought lots of parts off barnstormers. Even when I finished my spars, ribs, ailerons, flaps, and wing steel parts, I nearly decided to buy a factory wing kit! I certainly enjoy building, but I'm ready to fly.

-Nic

Comment

I elected to build from scratch. My wings are almost complete after 3 years and I enjoyed every second of the learning process. ZERO prior experience with wood or Aluminium. I am only 45 years old, but had a major medical event this year that was weeks away from killing me, by all accounts. Melanoma and brain tumours will do that!! :-)
        If I get a pilot medical back I will switch to kit to get flying. As much as I have loved the build process - I want to get flying this awesome machine....

Comment

• Bdflies
          Bdflies commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely inspiring!

Bill

• Weldingiron
          Weldingiron commented
          Editing a comment
          That is incredible. I'm glad you were able to catch it when you did and I hope you are doing well!

Originally posted by Bradrock
        I elected to build from scratch. My wings are almost complete after 3 years and I enjoyed every second of the learning process. ZERO prior experience with wood or Aluminium. I am only 45 years old, but had a major medical event this year that was weeks away from killing me, by all accounts. Melanoma and brain tumours will do that!! :-)
        If I get a pilot medical back I will switch to kit to get flying. As much as I have loved the build process - I want to get flying this awesome machine....
        Great to see you back on the forum Brad. I caught up with Beth on the weekend. Hope to come down your way and talk Bearhawk’s soon.

Comment

Working...
        X