Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Titanium Firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanium Firewall

Just thought I'd share some of the pics of my firewall progress. I disassembled the firewall that came with my kit and used it to trace the profile on 0.016" thk grade 4 Ti sheet. I also made the bent piece at the bottom in the same Ti with my new 30" HF sheet metal brake, which I bought as a direct result of the HF thread and am absolutely loving, thanks guys!

It is extremely advisable to take A LOT of pictures of something before you disassemble it, you never know what you'll find useful later...

I weighed the CRES firewall and the Ti rough cut, weight difference was 2.8 lbs. After final cut and bent piece I figure it could be just over 3 lb saving, should have measured the assembly before I tore it apart but I didn’t.

ETA: https://bearhawkforums.com/forum/bea...-embrittlement
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 13 photos.
    Last edited by Archer39J; 04-04-2018, 11:11 AM.
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

How much did the titanium material cost? Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg View Post
      How much did the titanium material cost? Mark
      $70 a sheet from TMS. I got two, one for this and one for the tunnel.Looks like I snagged the last of their stock in that size though, only larger sheets left.
      Dave B.
      Plane Grips Co.
      www.planegrips.com

Comment

Three pounds saved for $70 + some of your time is not too bad. Bob has told me that he places a dollar value on each pound saved. And the number has changed over the years. Now it is $30. Sounds like even Bob would approve. Mark

Comment

Well that's good to know! There was also value to me in the fabrication, as well as replacing the aluminum rivets in stainless. It was a lot of fun to make
          Dave B.
          Plane Grips Co.
          www.planegrips.com

Comment

Firewall and tunnel:

firewall and tunnel.jpg
            Attached Files
            Dave B.
            Plane Grips Co.
            www.planegrips.com

Comment

Nice. I was going to try the same thing. No problem bending the tunnel? I heard Ti was tough to bend without cracking.

Mark, I came with a similar number for what I am willing to pay per pound. I based it on the price of an EarthX battery vs a standard battery. I haven't figured out how to value my labor. I guess if I like doing it, I don't mind the labor. If I hate doing it, and it is long and tedious and I hate it, my time becomes very valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by svyolo View Post
                Nice. I was going to try the same thing. No problem bending the tunnel? I heard Ti was tough to bend without cracking.

Mark, I came with a similar number for what I am willing to pay per pound. I based it on the price of an EarthX battery vs a standard battery. I haven't figured out how to value my labor. I guess if I like doing it, I don't mind the labor. If I hate doing it, and it is long and tedious and I hate it, my time becomes very valuable.
                Bent the grade 4 Ti on the brake just fine with no cracks, looks like about a 1/8" radius. It wouldn't quite get to a perfect 90 but that could be a combination of my inexperience and a basic brake, hitting it with the dead-blow while it was all clamped up got it there. Beat to fit, as is said... I think most problems people have is with the Ti alloys, the commercially pure stuff is easier to work. I saw grades 2 and 4 on the TMS website, I believe they are equal for our purposes. No problems cutting, bending, drilling, or deburring this stuff.
                Dave B.
                Plane Grips Co.
                www.planegrips.com

Comment

Glad you tried it first! It doesn't need to be a strong alloy, it just needs to survive FAA fire specs, and conduct as little heat as possible. I worked a lot with SS on sailboats, and am not a fan. It is easy to weld, and is "pretty", and doesn't conduct heat well. Boats use Nylocs a lot to mount hardware. Ask me how many SS bolts I have had to cut off because the Nyloc galled while installing, or uninstalling.

Comment

Working...
                  X