Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harness Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harness Question

Just seeing what everyone was using for harnesses for pilot and pax. I found some old discussion in 2016 about Hooker but was seeing if that got worked out, just call an say you got a Bearhawk or what? I came from BAS in my 185 and loved them. Thanks

I have been sending kit customers to Hooker. They have lots of options and they give a discount to Bearhawkers off their retail pricing. Mark

Comment

I purchased a Hooker system for my 4 place plans build..

I wanted inertial reals for the "Y" type shoulder harness. Hooker sent me a real and harness setup to workout the mounting and figure the proper dimensions of the harness. It was a big help in building the mounting system.

They made the full system for the front seats and the single system for the rear seats.

I am very satisfied with their service and product. From 40 year in auto racing and having tested the systems more than once, I have purchased a lot of restraint systems.

Comment

• JCD23
        JCD23 commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you share how you mounted the inertial reels? I am trying to do this now in a 4 place.

I'd suggest measuring for the lap belts with someone in the seats. I measured for the shoulder harnesses because that seemed to be that part they were uncertain about but didn't measure for the lap belts and just went with what Hooker already thought it should be, I guess. My lap belts are on the short side, I'm 5'11" and 185 lb and its almost fully extended for the front seat. For the back seat I made extensions for the mounting brackets about 3" each to give it a bit more adjustability. Not really worried about the front since I don't really plan to let many other people fly it from the front. I'm sure that if I would have wanted to, Hooker would have worked with me on making them longer. I'm happy with the quality, I went with the twist to release type 4 point harness and I like it.
      Rollie VanDorn
      Findlay, OH
      Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Ditto on Hooker. Scott McPhillips is great to work with. He told me the measurement that he needed and I gave the measurement. The belts arrived a week later. One thing with the inertia reel is Hooker sends a drawing of the reel and gives the option of the flat side up or down. It has to be mounted as it was ordered in order for the reel to work properly. He told me they put the belt in once it is known which way a person wants to mount the reel. They are professional and are excellent to work with.

Comment

I am looking for ideas on how you guys mounted the inertial reels. Any Picts and help is much appreciated.

Comment

These are the mounts that I’ve got for the 4 pt reel and 4 pt non-reel in back.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.
            Almost flying!

Comment

Here is what I did. This maybe overkill but I have been upside down in a couple race cars and I a bit anal about safety. Notice that I added 2 diagonal tubes to give the rear the proper support.

Down side of this setup is that the real does protrude down enough that I plan to add a bit of padding to protect heads that might bump into ti when getting into the rear seat.

20150829_125009.jpg

Comment

FWIW, I have a six-part series in my build log starting with this drawing. http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...=288808&row=14

I am using a certified custom 4pt harness from B.A.S. that uses AM Safe low profile inertia reels.

Comment

Working...
              X