Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prop Governor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop Governor

I’ve run into anther oddity about the IO-360-A3B6D. The rotation ratio for the prop governor pad is .850 instead of the usual 320/360 ratio of .866. I have a governor set up for .866. Can I use it on the IO-360-A3B6D? Thanks for any insight you can give.

Shouldn't be a problem at all, as long as rotation is not reversed. You might need to adjust max RPM, with the adjusting screw. Your ratio is a bit lower, so I'm thinking flat pitch will turn a little faster than it should, but not much. That should be it!

Bill

Comment

I like that answer. Thanks, Bill.

Comment

Ray, I am not sure Bill's answer is correct. I have limited knowledge or experience to really know. But once a builder was using a Lyc540 B model which had a different gear for the prop drive. And the builder ended up exchanging the governor because it was not working correctly. Mark

Comment

Mark, I'm thinking Ray's governor pad is on the engine and the governor splined shaft will slip right in. Are you speaking about the drive pad having a different gear? I would think that a different ratio would have different gears, thus not interchangeable, but the governor should work alright, with some adjustment, as long as it's set up for the propellor.
          As usual, all advice rendered here is guaranteed to be worth the price! Ray, how far are you from running the engine?

Bill

Comment

The governor slips right in with gears seeming to mesh properly. The Lycoming manuals indicate rotation direction is the same. The only issue seems to be the rotational ratio relative to the crank is slightly different. Because of the dual mag in one hole layout of the A3B6D, the whole accessory case is different that a two mag hole case. My guess is that is the reason for the slightly different ratio.

I’m probably six weeks away from engine start-up.

Comment

If the rotation is slower, one would presume the governor operating pressure needs to be adjusted to compensate. But I can't say for sure. That is what I got told by the PCU helpdesk anyway. Otherwise the governor may not be able to keep pace with the prop / engine.

Comment

Happily, the governor works just fine; it maintained 2700 rpm during the entire first flight.

Comment

Working...
                X