Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tail Wire Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail Wire Hardware

I assembled the Horizontal Stab and elevator recently on my Patrol. I am using tail wires from Steen (Bruntons US distributor), and they are made of stainless. Steen's prices on the tail wire hardware was pretty high, and I elected to go with another supplier for that. I ended up with steel hardware, I think zinc plated or it might be Cad plated steel. The lock nut is also cad plated steel.

I am now thinking I should have stayed with the Stainless Steel hardware due to dissimilar metals/ galvanic corrosion.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Mine is cad plated. The hardware on my 1994 Husky was plated steel.

Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill. Were the Husky tail wires stainless like our Brunton Wires? I used fuel lube on mine as a preventive measure, but I am making this up as I go along while I look for tried and true industry best practices.

Anyone know what a over the counter lubricant with moly-disulfide?

Lots of aircraft flying with tail wire...are they all stainless?....Maul, Waco, Pitts, almost any Bi-Plane, Piper, etc.
      Last edited by Bcone1381; 03-19-2018, 07:35 AM.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Yes, the Husky wires were the stainless ones. They were identical to what's on my Patrol. I seem to recall a recommendation to grease the threads with a moly fortified grease. I suspect that would have more to do with preventing galling than corrosion.

Bill

Comment

Is cad plated a problem? Seems like all of our steel hardware is cadmium plated, isn’t it? I’m not sure it would be an issue, but I’ll defer to the more experienced in the group. Is cad-plated steel subject to the elements? Or would it need to be painted?

Funny you mentioned the Maule. I was just thinking about this very thing the other day. No flying wires. Only steel struts under the horizontal stab.
          Christopher Owens
          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• Bcone1381
            Bcone1381 commented
            Editing a comment
            Humm....You are correct. I don't see them on most of them. But it looks like an old M4 with the round tail surfaces has tail wires on the upper side. Just about every aircraft that I have found has elevator/Hstab made of 4130 tubing has tail wires.

• Chris In Milwaukee
            Chris In Milwaukee commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven't spent a lot of time around M-4s. I do like them, though

Sounds like you're getting pretty close to the big day! Keep on truckin'!

• Bcone1381
            Bcone1381 commented
            Editing a comment
            I am still a long way off! The education process is presenting new topics as I go along though.

More research on this topic this morning revealed that Stainless is not a approved material for the AN665-34 threaded tie rod end. This forces me to lean my concern against using a SS fitting and more towards suitable thread lube.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Im also about ready to build or purchase the fly wires. I have been told by a few old timers that there is a company that will cut a decent break in price if you buy several sets ( Group Order). I just dont know who or where? But if we can figure that out I will jump on board.

Comment

Steens, but they are still expensive.

Comment

I was quoted $876 + $75 shipping for streamline wires and hardware, and that was apparently the group buy discount (+$200 without).

Went with ACS pre-fab for about 1/4 the cost.
                Dave B.
                Plane Grips Co.
                www.planegrips.com

Comment

Looks like I should have done my homework better. I bought the Steen.

Comment

Do you have a link to ACS? I would love to look into them but couldnt google them.

Comment

lol.... duhh

Comment

Working...
                    X