Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tunnel Drain Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunnel Drain Valve

I see the drain valve on the gascolator will protrude through the tunnel, but I've never seen an example of this. I'm also not entirely sure how the flush drain valves are installed. Should there be a closeout around the hole and valve, like a gasket or something, or is it just an open hole? I see most folks put the gascolator further aft and have a drain valve coming out the belly skin.

With it on the angled tunnel skin it seems like that might be path for weather to get forced in, especially if there's no closeout, as opposed to being parallel to the wind stream like those mounted through the belly skin. Is this any concern?

Gascolator_Tunnel_1.PNG
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

Bump test to see if this post shows up
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

Comment

The gascolator normally goes on the firewall or further back between the legs, from what I have seen.

I would not like to drill a hole in the stainless tunnel. It would be inviting extra heat, exhaust fumes into the belly (and cockpit), as well as letting more leaking oil into the belly.
      I would tend to put the hole on the belly panel, parallel to the airflow, so it creates suction instead of ramming air into the belly.

Comment

Mark kept telling me that Bob's preferred insatllation is to connect the gascolator to the rear of the fuel selector using a nipple. I couldn't get it to work. There simply wasn't enough space (Bravo 4-place). Also, it would mean putting a door in the SS tunnel - something I wasn't happy about doing. I ended up putting it behind station B on the left side and made a door in the lower boot cowl extension. Fuel pump (IO engine) goes on the right side. Seems to work.

Comment

Yeah I think I'll put the gascolator further aft as well. Though I can see the convenience if you have a removable tunnel.

I agree best not to drill a hole in that area.
          Dave B.
          Plane Grips Co.
          www.planegrips.com

Comment

My gascolator is about 5 or 6 inches aft of the fuel selector valve. Above the panel aft of the tunnel, which is easier removed than the tunnel, my fuel filter is also in the same area so I can get to both on annual inspections b removing that one panel. My main reason for that was that in the three point stance on the ground the furthest aft is the lowest point and the goal if the gascolator is to collect water. To me the firewall mounting position only makes sense on tricycle gear planes for that same reason.
            Rollie VanDorn
            Findlay, OH
            Patrol Quick Build

Comment

I just spoke with Bob about this issue. On his planes, the gascolator is about 3 inches from the aft edge of the tunnel. This position looks like the above picture of what Dave posted. With a hole in the tunnel 1/8" bigger than the drain valve. He said in 20+ years and 1500 hours - this little hole for the drain valve has never caused him a problem. The tunnel does come out for annual inspection. Then you have access to the gascolator for inspection/cleaning of the screen.

Connecting the gascolator with the pipe double nipple directly to the fuel selector valve is kind of a new thing in the kits. But it should work and be safe - according to Bob. However, it sounds like some of the other ideas would not cause a problem. So probably more than one way to skin the cat. Mark

Comment

Working...
              X