Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oratex on its way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oratex on its way!

I know there has been a lot of questions about what Oratex actually costs so I thought I would share. The Bearhawk takes 30 meters of Fabric at 71 inches wide for a 4 place. Along with all the glues and tapes and threads the cost came in right at 4500 dollars. They offer a grade 1 or 2 on the fabric. Grade 1 being flawless and grade 2 having very minor imperfections. They claim most are invisible and do not lessen the performance and strength. They also say that only 1 flaw is allowed per meter. Since I plan on putting decals over my fabric on 50% of the plane I wasnt worried. The cost was 2k more for grade 1 fabric. They reserve 4 weeks for shipping but said it could arrive in half that time. I happen to already have 6 meters so we will begin covering this weekend and I will update after.

Little math for ya..... 30 meters of fabric is 582.79 sqft. Im thinking there will be about 10% cut off waste so 524 sqft go on the plane.Cost per sqft for Oratex is 8.60.
    Last edited by muleyman78; 03-22-2018, 09:46 PM.

Thanks, I wasn't aware there was a grade 1 or 2 option. 4500 dollars/30 meter^2. So $150/meter^2.

Comment

Originally posted by muleyman78 View Post
      I know there has been a lot of questions about what Oratex actually costs so I thought I would share. The Bearhawk takes 30 meters of Fabric at 71 inches wide for a 4 place. Along with all the glues and tapes and threads the cost came in right at 4500 dollars. They offer a grade 1 or 2 on the fabric. Grade 1 being flawless and grade 2 having very minor imperfections. They claim most are invisible and do not lessen the performance and strength. They also say that only 1 flaw is allowed per meter. Since I plan on putting decals over my fabric on 50% of the plane I wasnt worried. The cost was 2k more for grade 1 fabric. They reserve 4 weeks for shipping but said it could arrive in half that time. I happen to already have 6 meters so we will begin covering this weekend and I will update after.

Little math for ya..... 30 meters of fabric is 582.79 sqft. Im thinking there will be about 10% cut off waste so 524 sqft go on the plane.Cost per sqft for Oratex is 8.60.
      For what it is worth I did some very careful measuring last week and came up with 30 yards, or about 28 meters. The fact that I have a full skylight could account for part of the difference. The only way I could save a couple yards would be to use separate pieces to cover the top and bottom of some of the control pieces, probably not something you want to do. I think you will find that your waste ends up being about 5 meters or 15%, not much you can do about that. I calculated 5 meters necessary to do my interior. I plan on Oratex for that, haven't made my mind up about exterior. Keep us posted on your experience with installing it.

Comment

Almost a MONTH later and still not even a shipping notification.... Very frustrating.

Comment

Working...
        X