Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oratex Interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oratex Interior

I gave some serious consideration to covering my plane with Oratex. For a variety of reasons including price I have decided against that. However, I think it would make an excellent interior fabric and save a lot of work. I'm planning on going with the 6000 silver. I had a concern about the areas where the exterior fabric would wrap over Oratex. This morning I talked to Andy at Stewarts and he says their glue will adhere to Oratex, didn't even think I needed to rough up the overlap area. I'm still planning on doing some adhesion tests before committing to this plan. Just wanted to pass this on in case someone has similar thoughts.

Oratex works well as an interior fabric, just as well or better than traditional covering systems. We have a Bearhawk here with a part-Oratex interior.

On the other hand, I think mixing different covering systems on the same airframe is an extra complication and risky from a long-term maintenance perspective. If you ever cut that fabric somehow (accident), the multi-system repair will be much more complex. The chemical compatibility is one thing, and it means you need to hold twice the stock for colour-compatible future repairs too. Just some considerations you may want to think over.

Comment

• rodsmith
      rodsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      Good points to consider Jon
Working...
X