Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel tank plumbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank plumbing

The aft fuel supply connection at the tank is in a 'tweener' position. It needs to make a turn before penetrating the #2 rib. I was surprised how long AN fuel fittings are for hose connections. I want to use flexible fuel line from the tanks to the hard lines in the fuse, but the position of the aft line, and the length of AN fittings might make it unpleasant. Thinking about making a stub line out of 3003 line to go through either 1 or both ribs with Z bend, beading it, and then go to the fuselage hard lines with a bead on them.

Thoughts or other solutions?

As an unpleasant side note I got my tanks back from a well recommended welding/metal shop and had an extra AN867 (1/4 NPT) weld on bungs welded on the top of the side of the tanks for FI return/vent. I gave them a good brief, including that all the other fittings on the same side of the tank are the same fitting. IF in doubt, just copy what they did. Drill first, and please don't scratch them up. In addition to scratching them all up, they welded the bungs on upside down, which annoyed me at first. 2 weeks later it is annoying me a lot more as I remember that the T in NPT means "Tapered". The fittings are useless. Luckily there is enough space next to them for another fitting. Argggghhhh.

John, if the AN fittings are taking the fuel lines through too much of the "meat" of the root ribs - you can still run them that way but just add a doubler to the rib(s) to beef up where you remove material. A fuel line with a Z bend does not sound like the best solution. Mark

Comment

Working...
    X