Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B&C 90 degree oil filter adapter on 540

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B&C 90 degree oil filter adapter on 540

B&C makes these nice 90 degree angled oil filter adapters for Lycomings. It looks like they offer a few different orientations though. Can anyone weigh in on which works best?

B&C Specialty Products designs and builds innovative & reliable aircraft electrical systems & components for the experimental & commercial aviation markets.

I was thinking the 708 model because it orients the filter downward, meaning maybe less spillage? It says it's intended for the Maule.

Or maybe the 700 which could be more easily accessed via the cowl door?

Thoughts? I wondering if choosing the right one could allow oil changes without removal of the engine cowling.
    Last edited by Zzz; 06-29-2018, 03:48 PM.

I had a diesel engine in a sailboat with an oil filter mounted 700 style. It was easily accessible from 3 sides. I did manage once, and only once, to change the filter without making a mess. Then I bought an adapter that changed the orientation.
    I am not to the FWF stage yet. Given a choice, I will make room for a 708 style.

I don't know if they are used on planes, but they have kits to remote mount the filters to the location and orientation of your choice. That was the normal solution for the diesel engine I mentioned above. I think I will look into it for the Lycoming.

Comment

ACS #08-01057. They don't mention that it fits Lyc, but they have a different part number that is Continental specific so i am guessing this is for Lycs. Overpriced, but putting the filter in an easily accessible place and orientation is a good thing.

Comment

I have an angle adaptor from ECI on my RV-6 that angles up. Access for removal is great, but it can be messy. I usually have a plastic bag and rags under it when I remove it to catch oil and try to get the filter in the bag as quickly as possible. Given the option, I would go with one that angles.

Comment

My previous plane had a remote mounted filter, that had the filter vertical - bottom down. The kit was similar to:

Pricey? Yep! But I could do an oil change without spilling a drop. Really nice setup.

BTW, ZZZ, what's up with wanting to do an oil change, without removing the cowl??? That's WRONG!

Bill

Comment

Bd. Nice, but wow that is pricey.

I haven't gotten to that point yet. For me changing an oil filter should be easy. But on a plane, other priorities might overshadow the filter. I would like the filter upside down so I don't spill a bunch of oil every filter change. But if I have to reach down into an blind spot to spin off the filter, that might be my choice. There are some things I want to easily preflight every flight. I want those easily visible and accessible by opening the cowling.

If I have the space the filter will be easy to get to. But it will be inverted so that when I unscrew it won't spill all the oil. But I want to be able to check the oil, brake fluid level, battery and ground connections, alternator belt, every preflight. If I have the space, the oil filter will be right there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bdflies View Post
              BTW, ZZZ, what's up with wanting to do an oil change, without removing the cowl??? That's WRONG!

Bill
              Haha...you are right, Bill. Normally I like to take the opportunity to tickle and fondle all the goodies to make sure everything is in its right place, but I can imagine a scenario where I might want to just do a quickie.

Comment

Even with the one that faces down, I still have to punch a hole to let the old oil drain out.
                But yes, down is the easiest and you simply put a plastic bag over the filter to catch the spillage. With good technique and good access from the side to remove the filter without tipping it over, you can do the change without losing a drop. I can do this with cowls on, which is important for a quick 50 hr check.

Comment

I recently had an email conversation with Nathan at B and C on this very topic. (Text of his reply is copied below.) I will definitely be using a 90-degree oil filter adapter from B and C. Just not sure which one yet.

Thanks for emailing. The only field report for your aircraft states the customer use a BC702 (see here: http://www.bandc.aero/oilfilteradapter-stcpma1-1.aspx) which sits off to the right. This installation only worked because the right hand accessory pad was not used (i.e. no vacuum pump or alternator).

If you would prefer to see if the BC700 would work, start with the outline drawing found here: http://www.bandc.aero/pdfs/bc700out.pdf. We offer full refunds if the part doesn't fit and it's returned in new condition.

Please let me know if I can be of any more help.

Regards,
                  Nathan

Nathan Bainbridge
                  B&C Specialty Products, Inc.
                  123 East 4th Street
                  Newton, KS 67114
                  (316) 283-8000

www.bandc.aero
                  Larry Driver
                  Bearhawk 4-Place Quickbuild N22LD
                  Mogollon Airpark, Overgaard AZ

Comment

I was looking at Mark's engine a couple weeks ago and noted that the oil filter was in a bad position, as its on a 90 degree mount with the open end down. I figured that would dump oil all over. He said it doesn't do that at all, that the oil drains out of the filter back into the engine so it doesn't make a mess. I hadn't thought of that. I guess if you just give it a little time to drain while you drain the oil and remove the cowl, the filter should be pretty well drained by the time you remove it with that configuration. I always change my oil with it warm so any contaminates are suspended in the oil and will drain out with the oil, plus it drains faster warm than cold. I suppose you could even wait until the next day to change the filter to give it more time to drain. I don't have an adapter on mine and made a mess on my first oil change so I'm thinking about getting one.
                    Rollie VanDorn
                    Findlay, OH
                    Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Mine is the 700 model on a Lyc O-360. The filter is oriented about 45 degrees from horizontal - with the top of the filter (I refer to the threaded end with the gasket as the 'top') pointing downward. It's easy to access and installed easily alongside the gear driven B&C alternator. Nice neat install.
                      The downside is that it WILL drip some oil, during changes. You must punch a hole in the filter to allow it to drain into the engine, or it will drop a small gusher over the accessory case and firewall.. When punching that hole, one must be careful to penetrate the can at the absolute apex, or it will dribble happily until the level falls below the hole... I've let it drain overnight (from a hot engine) and it still drips the remains when removed.
                      So, it has benefits and a downside. A remote mount on the firewall, with the 'top' oriented up, is much cleaner at oil changs. The remote hoses are much more difficult to route and complicate the build. Because that filter is heavy, the firewall needs adequate reinforcement. The whole remote thing is just heavier.
                      With the B&C adapter, I wash the engine after oil changes. Not a bad thing, I suppose.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                      X