Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AN Fuel fittings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AN Fuel fittings

I have been scratching my head for over a month over the AN fuel fittings, and their threads. I have not had any problem with the flare fittings, but the pipe thread side going into AN867 threaded bungs and the brass fuel tank strainers have been giving me a hard time. My assumption was that the aluminum AN867's had distorted due to welding, or were purposely undercut so that the builder could cut the threads to suit. But the brass strainers I would have thought should be cut properly. I haven't tried to cut the 867's yet, but have cut the threads in one strainer fairly deeply. I also ran a die over one AN6 nipple and cut those threads very deeply. Doing that allowed me to properly seat 1 AN6 fitting in a strainer.

Without doing this I could engage 1 thread by hand, and then the second thread with a wrench. By the time I had the was 2 threads deep, I am at 3 times the max torque for an AN6. NPT threads should only have 2-3 threads proud of the joint when torqued. The fittings will be destroyed before I get 1/3 that deep.

Just for the heck of it, I took a new, untouched strainer, and AN867, to the local hardware store. I took a 1/4 NPT brass fitting and threaded it into both the brass strainer, and the AN867. Perfect fit on both. So it isn't the strainer, or AN867, it is the AN6 fittings. That surprised me. I assumed it was the brass strainer and 867.

I will often run a tap through a hole to make sure the threads are good and clean, but to make the AN fittings work, I would have to deeply cut the threads on both the strainers and AN867's on the fuel tank. VERY deeply cut the threads. Is this normal?

Every AN6 pipe fitting that I have feels exactly the same. I can get 1 rotation by hand.

The fuel tank outlets are not AN parts but fittings made in a machine shop. It is not uncommon to run a 3/8 NPT tap into them to allow more thread engagement. Mark

Comment

Mark, they look identical to AN867 fittings that I got from Wicks. Also the 867's are a bit undercut as well, but that might be preferable due to possible welding distortion. I don't have any issues cutting those threads a bit deeper. I am taken aback that an AN-6 fitting (I tried about 6 different ones that I have) would not go more than 1 turn into the brass finger strainers (I tried all 4 that Wicks sent me, plus 1 different brand that ACS sent me).

The only way I got one AN6 45 deg elbow the requisite number of threads into the brass strainer was to deeply cut the brass internal threads, and ALSO deeply cut the AN6 threads with a die. You can only go so deep into the brass fitting because of the steel retainer for the screen strainer.

Like I said a hardware store brass fitting went in quite a bit more without running a tap into it.

Is this common with AN pipe threads? The fittings are bloody expensive to be anything other than perfect. They all fit the same so it is either intentional, or the only supplier for the parts is a well known, highly populated country, far far away.

Comment

There is a webstore called ANplumbing.com which sells non FAA approved fittings for the automotive world. Mostly Earl's racing stuff. I have occasionally bought from them when needing odd ball parts. Much cheaper. Just a thought.

I have had to open NPT fittings with taps. Not the straight threads ones that I can remember. Mark

Comment

Working...
        X