Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flap and aileron nutplates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flap and aileron nutplates

The plans call for 10-32 nut plates to mount the aileron and flap hinges. There are numerous types. Since these are pretty important, is there any specific type? There are some really nice ones with that are basically nylocs.

This doesn't fully answer your question but related:
    I am getting ready to attach the hinges to the flap and ailerons and got stuck on how to dimple the spars to fix the nutplates. The backing plate on the spar

Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

The normal K1000 all metal nutplates are fine. Some want to use the nylon insert lock nut type but they are much more expensive and not really needed. I have used both. Mark

Comment

Thanks for both responses

Comment

Timely post....I was installing them yesterday! The K1000 nut plate has two lugs and is secured by a rivet on either side of the 'nut.' I think you'll find that you will need some K2000 'one leg' nut plates. Below is a photo of a K2000 nut plate. That area is pretty tight. I found that these one lugged nut plates required in some places, but were a blessing in all locations. I think you will find you dont have room to position your rivet squeezer (or rivet gun/bucking bar, drill) using the K1000's.
          Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 7.42.50 AM.png
          IMG_5545.JPG
          Last edited by Bcone1381; 07-10-2018, 07:26 AM. Reason: speling
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Chris In Milwaukee
            Chris In Milwaukee commented
            Editing a comment
            Busier than a one-legged nut plate in a flap-building contest. :-). Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

• Bdflies
            Bdflies commented
            Editing a comment
            Uh Chris,,, you been using the MEK again??

Bill

• Chris In Milwaukee
            Chris In Milwaukee commented
            Editing a comment
            Ummmmm.....

Brooks is correct. There are a few spots where the one lug nutplates really eases installation. You might get a dozen of those for tight spots. Mark

Comment

Working...
          X