Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4-Place Bearhawk - Speed Mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aviat Husky,,, darn spellcheck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Isilverone View Post
      Hi guys, as stated above,these panties are an efficiency mod. I really like the looks of them more than anything. If I can cruise nicely along with an inch or 2 less MP , then they’ve done the job. I’ve always had big fat tires on my planes and just wanted to try something different. I’m hoping the wings and tail stay cleaner also. I’ve got a streamlined tail spring fairing and a very streamlined fairing system over my landing gear struts so should look fast if nothing else. The panties came from RF-Ski in Germany. They are for 8.50 tires and are actually built for the Aviation Husky. I’m really impressed with the construction and finish.. I’m very close to getting this thing finished and looking forward to first flight..
      Do you plan to flight test with and without them to see how effective they are? I would be interested in wheel pants but would only install them for long cross country flights and only if they gained more than a couple knots. My neighbor installed similar looking wheel pants over 8.50s on his Turbo 185 and only gained 5mph on a plane that cruises 170mph at altitude. He was pretty disappointed, didn't keep them on long.

Comment

Silverstone,
        They are impressive streamlined wheel pants.
        I'd be very interested in the with and without scenarios - gotta be worth a few knots at least.
        Tidy aircraft too btw. Love the paint scheme.
        Peter
        4 place plans built # 1186

Comment

Thanks Peter,, yes I will flight test without first and provide some data..

Comment

I did read their description on the website. It says once they are initially installed, they can be installed or removed in 5 minutes. Nice.

Comment

How is initial installation, any welding mods required on the gear legs?

Comment

RF-SKI website says 1 hour for initial install, but they are designed for a Husky. Not sure about how to adapt to a BH but probably not that hard. Fits up to 8.5X6 tires. 8 lbs each, unpainted.
                Probably not in my future, but if they can be R&Ied in 5 minutes, I might think about it down the road.

They do look nice, and I have always been a fan of wheel pants. I just question their value proposition on a bush type plane, at the speeds we fly.

But, did I mention I have always liked wheel pants?

Comment

• rodsmith
                  rodsmith commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would only install them for long airport to airport x-countries like from where I live in western Colorado to the east coast where I have lots of relatives to visit.

These things are huge.. 41” long. I made a bracket that clamps to the A arm and then bolts through the reinforced fibreglass. They cover everything nicely. I haven’t started on the transition fairings yet as I need to get her airborne before starting that. I really like the look of them. I’m building this thing as an “Executive Cruiser”. I travel weekly for work and want all the comforts at the expense of some weight.It’s fully insulated and 1/2” super sound proofed all the way back to the baggage wall. I added heated seats and have the Dynon HDX with 3 axis autopilot. I’m expecting a 1280 empty weight but will find out soon..

Comment

• Bdflies
                  Bdflies commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A fine "Executive Cruiser" it will be! The Patrol delivers amazing speed for its roomy comfort and short field capabilities.

Bill

Meant to reply on a different thread
                Last edited by rodsmith; 07-02-2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Any updates from your wheel pant install. They looked interesting to say the least.

Comment

Working...
                  X