Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Gauge

Trying to make the home made fuel gauge. Cannot get the An838-4d in the hose/ tube. Even if I try with just hose I have to basically screw it in. It looks as though the hose might be too thick but a micrometer confirms correct inside and outside diameter with called out wall thickness. I used plenty of Vaseline. Univair balls flows freely testing diameter of hose. Has anyone else had issues? Suggestions? Thanks

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I made mine that way, didn't have much trouble putting it together, but within about 6 months of having fuel in the tanks one of the sight gauges started leaking, the metal tubing wasn't enough of a clamp. I ended up draining the tank and using a new piece of clear tubing with hose clamps and leaving off the metal tubing. Works fine and looks fine, other than the fact that I only did the one that was leaking so the two don't match.
    Rollie VanDorn
    Findlay, OH
    Patrol Quick Build

Comment

You could try heating the clear tubing up with hot water. It should soften, and expand.

Comment

Try putting the clear hose on the skinny end of the fitting. Threaded end is for attaching to the tank fittings.

Comment

I should have looked at the picture first.

Comment

That's a bulkhead fitting. As Oriwha said the tubing goes on the beaded end.

Photo from: http://www.foxflier.com/bearhawk/2009/Mar09/index.htm
            Dave B.
            Plane Grips Co.
            www.planegrips.com

Comment

As for that thing leaking, a few ideas come to mind:

Notching the back so that you can slip one of these in there:

Cutting a few slits into the aluminum tube then using a clamp like this:

Comment

Thanks for the picture. The issue is that when I put the barbed end, not threaded in the hose which is 5/16 inside diameter, the fitting, An838-4d is 1/4 inch. So, 1/16 too small. I have rechecked the dimensions of the hose and tube with digital micrometer. I ordered the tube and fittings from spruce, my receipts show what is called out. I have had two other sets of eyeballs on this. I know it is something pretty simple.

Comment

like Svyolo suggested using hot water warm end of tubing to make it more pliable

Comment

Are you making the fuel sight gages that Pete Stevens submitted to Beartracks in 2007, Q3?
                    Brooks Cone
                    Southeast Michigan
                    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I looked on the Spruce catalogue and the fitting you have is for a 1/4 tube. Spruce does show clear tubing with a 1/4 ID. but what you have is tubing that is 5/16 ID. I would check with Spruce and see what the issue might be.

Comment

Yes on Stevens Gauge. The issue with 1/4 tubing is the sight gauge ball (univair) would get stuck. If anyone had a 5/16 hose part number that works, I would appreciate it. I did find this fitting from the Parker store which is a -4 and supposed to be rated to 600 psi at the barbed end. I could then use an an832-4d bulkhead fitting. It is just driving me a little mad that the original formula works for other folks, I have all parts but something simple is a miss. It has been educational though. Any continued suggestions are much appreciated.

Comment

Clear tubing is not all the same. A lot of the cheaper stuff is distorted in shape as it comes off the roll. Yeah, you can get a 1/4" nipple on it, but a lightweight plastic ball might "get stuck" as the shape is not circular in places.

I have the material for the sight gauge but haven't made it yet. I bought some of the specified clear tubing, "Superthane". It looks pretty round. I will give it a try soon.

Comment

Thanks, got the hose from a local rubber company. It is super thane. The hose is 5/16 ID and 7/16 OD. The manufacturer is the same that Attlee Dodge uses for their fuel gauge which uses 1/4 ID and at least 1/2 OD does not have a univair ball. This hose would allow the ball to move freely and hose would not fit in the tube. Thanks

Comment

I can't help with you assembly question but here is a thought. I planned to use this same method for my site gauges but while preparing to assemble them I didn't like how I wouldn't know when the tanks were actually empty because the fuel level would be down inside the elbow fitting. I did some looking as elected to do similar as CubCrafters (pic of a CubCrafters plane):

Piper_Cub_Fuel_Gauge_2.jpg

I used the Univair ball and the hose I had already purchased and made mine look similar to this. The 5/16" tube is simply hose clamped to the 1/4" aluminum tubes that come from the tanks. When leak checking the system I determined that there would be at least 3 gallons still in the tank when the Stevens gauge no longer has fuel visible in it.
                              Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Working...
                              X